Cake Pop Maker Vs. Cake Pop Pans

Baking By Naty Updated 5 Feb 2016 , 11:42pm by annie1992

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 28 May 2015 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 11

Which do you all use? Debating on which to buy to start making cake pops. 

Do the tops bake"round" or will  i get semi circle pops?

Thanks

10 replies
MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 28 May 2015 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 11

I bake a whole box of cake mix in a pan then crumble it and add icing. After it is a good consistency, I shape them into pops. The makers and pans are not great. They can easily overbake and don't give you a rounded pop. Plus the whole point of cake pops is that they have that texture from mixing crumbed cake with icing... not a small ball of dry cake. That's just me!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 28 May 2015 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 11

Wording problem as two different items have the same name:

A cake ball--- being a blob of batter you cook into a small "cake", either in a pop baker machine, or a pop type baking tray with clips. 

A cake pop/ cake truffle being  fully baked cake scraps ground up and icing and flavorings added to make balls. 

By your question, I see cake balls. I have used both the "pop maker" waffle iron thing and the cupcake type ball pan.  I can't see doing tons of these, but a fun kid activity.  I think pop maker waffle iron is better, but only make a few at a time. I always end up overfilling and then trimming off the "saturn rings" after.

Naty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naty Posted 29 May 2015 , 12:05am
post #4 of 11

Thank you! I bought the cake pop maker just now.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 1:06am
post #5 of 11

I do both. Some people prefer to bite into "cake" rather than mush. I have metal ball pans that are great. The top side is not exactly round, but pretty close. After trimming of the equator / seam, I insert the stick into the top, which then becomes the bottom. Once it is coated in candy, it becomes more rounded due to the chocolate that settles where the stick meets the ball, and no one can tell.

doodlebugakj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodlebugakj Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 11

56350be26f066.jpeg

I was coming to ask this same question!  I have been using these pans for a couple years and have never tried doing the cake balls "smashing cake".  So was wondering what other people thought of the two methods?  Was thinking the cake balls look rounder, smoother and may stay on the sticks easier since they aren't as airy as the cake pops.  What is the taste difference?  Saw this cool cake ball roller and was thinking about giving it a try

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 31 Oct 2015 , 7:11pm
post #7 of 11

Don't buy the cake pop roller.... too many people on here have said it was bad. If you are wanting to "portion-out" your cake balls, just use a cookie scoop. Click a bunch out, then roll them even. The chocolate covers the minor stuff. You don't need that much icing to mix, just enough to make it stick. But like others have said, it's a personal preference thing. What makes it a "pop" is just the lollipop stick. Otherwise it's just a cake ball.

doodlebugakj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodlebugakj Posted 3 Nov 2015 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks!!  I guess I will just stick to my baking pans..  Friends like that my cake pops are like little bites of cake :)

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 5 Nov 2015 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 11

I use a little cake pop maker which is like scissors with a semi-circle on each end.  You make your crumb/frosting mix and squidge it between the circles.  Squeeze the scissor bits and you have perfect little balls.  Think I pid about £3.99 for mine :-)

pattycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes1 Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 11

I have the cake roller and LOVE it!  I take scrap cake such as the tops after leveling a cake. Run it through the food processor until it starts to ball.  Then dump it out on to waxed paper and form into a square and place it into the cake roller.  Put on the cover and roll it then turn the cover and roll the other way and you have beautifully shaped cake balls.  You make a lot of cake balls at one time.  The wonderful thing is you don't have to add any frosting to make them stick together.  Adding frosting  to the cake crumbs makes the cake ball a lot sweeter.   Once the cake ball is formed you can dip the pop stick into chocolate and into the cake ball and let it firm up.  They have the complete instructions with the cake pop roller.  If your doing a lot of cake  pops that roller makes fast work of making them plus you use those left over cake tops so they save on the cost of ingredients, time to bake them in a pan , electricity, additional frosting to make them stick together and clean up time.  

annie1992 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annie1992 Posted 5 Feb 2016 , 11:42pm
post #11 of 11

I have the cake pop "waffle type" machine, it was a gift to me from my stepdaughter, who promptly asked me to make cake balls for her wedding, LOL.    It works pretty well, though.

I dislike the crumbled cake/frosting concoction, I prefer the bite of cake covered with chocolate or whatever.  The little machine seems to make pretty even little balls of cake, although like other posters I always seem to overfill and then have to carve off the "Saturn Rings" before dipping the cake balls in melted chocolate or whatever.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%