Friday Night Cake Club For 5/22/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 25 May 2015 , 10:11pm by auntginn

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 May 2015 , 3:47am
post #1 of 10

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

9 replies
catlharper Posted 23 May 2015 , 3:50am
post #2 of 10

Hi everyone,

Well, I had every intention of making up a cake this week but then my son's team made it into the District Semi Finals and suddenly there were all sorts of things going on. They didn't win the game but it was so great for them to be able to be a part of that process (out of our normal Tournament of Champions). I leave tomorrow for Monterey where I will stay the week ending with the trip to Disneyland. I don't know when I will log in on Friday Night but I will be here! I go home again Saturday afternoon on the train so I'll be around as soon as we get back to Monterey from LA!

Hope everyone had a great week!

Cat

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 23 May 2015 , 1:41pm
post #3 of 10

I'm in this week! My daughter's birthday cake. http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3341109/rainbow-birthday-cake

catlharper Posted 23 May 2015 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 10

@Nadiaa LOVE the rainbow ruffles! What a FUN cake! I know she had to love it!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 23 May 2015 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 10

Nadiaa, what a fun and girly cake, nice job!

Here's three of my four cakes this week.  Making the last one tonight.  This one was for a woodworking and photography enthusiast.  Red Velvet on the inside.

Woodworking and Photography

This one is for a teenage girl who loves to crochet.  This was red velvet as well.

A crochet themed cake

This one is the most unique.  My first ever durian cake filled with durian buttercream and covered with SMBC spikes.  The first I ever heard of durian was on Chopped.  All they talked about was how bad it smells.  I found some frozen at an Asian market and I'm here to tell you, the funk is real!  The cake tastes good despite that smell.

Durian Cake

Nadiaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nadiaa Posted 23 May 2015 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks ladies! Yes, she adored the cake, and the layers inside matched the outside perfectly. Totally girly and I loved making it. 

Pastrybaglady your cakes are terrific! I love the durian one! It's also called jackfruit where I'm from. And it tastes DIVINE fresh. But yes, the smell is gross! Hahaha!

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 24 May 2015 , 1:30am
post #7 of 10

Hi everyone! No cakes for me this week unfortunately. Deep down I kind of wanted a break from last week haha but it turns out nobody ended up ordering anything. 

I love all the cakes everyone made!

catlharper Posted 24 May 2015 , 2:27am
post #8 of 10

Lovely to hear from everyone! The durian cake (we call it Jackfruit too) is something we had in Hawaii and I love it! I didn't smell the actually fruit tho...just ate the cake. I love the crotchet cake @Pastrybaglady 

@SweetShop5 glad you got a much needed break. Sometimes it's really easy to get bogged down and forget to give ourselves a break.

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 25 May 2015 , 12:20am
post #9 of 10

I was thinking durian and jackfruit are not the same as they were selling jackfruit at the market and it did not look like durian. I'm sure this kind of thing keeps everyone up at night, right?  So I googled it and found they are similar and often mistaken for each other but they are two different fruits. Each has their individual brand of funk.  In my reading I found one person who said durian smells like butt onion!  

See: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080902121235AAenjBo

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 May 2015 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 10

Hello Everyone, I hope your all having a great Memorial Day Holiday.

Love the cakes posted already.

Nadiaa.. very cute cake for your daughter.

Pastrybaglady.  Great job.  Never heard of or had Durian fruit.

My only cake this week was for a birthday party of my friend.  They order all their cakes from me.  I had fun making this one.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3341330/tinkerbell-cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%