Helpppp First Cake For Daughters Birthday

Baking By bmaury15 Updated 21 May 2015 , 11:07am by rachel2053_cake

bmaury15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmaury15 Posted 20 May 2015 , 2:53am
post #1 of 14

I am determined to make a doll cake for my daughter's birthday. The doll cake that has the doll & the cake as her dress. Im not very good a decorating. & only ever made simple sheet cakes with icing & sprinkles. I kinda have an idea of what I wanna do, bit I'm worried that the icing will melt. I was gonna use store bought icing & color it blue (elsa cake),but the party is outside & there is no fridge to put the cake in to keep the icing cool. How can i make this cake successful?

13 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 20 May 2015 , 4:17am
post #2 of 14

MAKE icing. The stuff in the cans (Pillsbury/ Duncan Hines) WILL NOT work.  If you use canned, use Wilton canned icing that is "harder". But you need to learn how to thin and pipe icing to do it successfully. Check youtube. 

MinaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MinaBakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 4:31am
post #3 of 14

Also search online for a crusting icing/buttercream. It was a specific sugar to shortening ratio that helps it crust and helps with it not melting as quickly. Also, if you're going to be adding color in, def don't use store bought.

MinaBakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 4:32am
post #4 of 14

Also search online for a crusting icing/buttercream. It was a specific sugar to shortening ratio that helps it crust and helps with it not melting as quickly. Also, if you're going to be adding color in, def don't use store bought.

post #5 of 14

post #6 of 14

post #7 of 14

MinaBakes Posted 20 May 2015 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 14

Wow this new platform sucks! LOL this what happens.

rsquared02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsquared02 Posted 20 May 2015 , 2:52pm
post #9 of 14

You can do this!!  Do a google search for how to make a barbie cake, there are tons of youtube tutorials out there.  

I second making your own icing, it's super easy and will work MUCH better.  Use a shortening recipe if you are worried about the heat.  I would also purchase some of the sparkling sugar sprinkles - they'll add some sparkle and cover any flaws!  

Good luck!

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 20 May 2015 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 14

Do you have a cooler? if you can find one big enough to fit the finished cake in, that might help. Also, a lot of people here recommend chilling the cakes too in the refrigerator.

Here is a link to another forum topic, it has some how-to links in it :)

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/663707/how-do-i-make-a-barbie-doll-cake-w-dress

With this new website format switch, it's best to use Google for searching, just put "Cake Central" in with your search term to find the threads. Hope this helps some! :)

johnson6ofus Posted 20 May 2015 , 7:40pm
post #11 of 14

If you use the "standard decorating" icing (Wilton canned, IndyDebi recipe here on CC, and many others) you will be fine. It CAN still out for a few hours (no real fruit or cream cheese please!)

Bake cake, cool cake, cut out doll body hole, crumb coat lightly and refrigerate. Do final icing coat and decorate. REFRIGERATE until party time, at which point it can sit out at room temperature for a few hours and be fine. 

bmaury15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmaury15 Posted 20 May 2015 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 14

this icing?

Is this the icing?

johnson6ofus Posted 21 May 2015 , 2:40am
post #13 of 14

Yes... that canned Wilton icing works. Scoop about a cup in a bowl, ad a little bit (1/2 teaspoon) of water, and mix. Add more water, stir... until you get the consistency you need. 

*********************************************OR-

I also like:

Indydebi’s Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing

Ingredients

• 1-1/3 cups Cricso
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
  • 3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
  • 2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
  • 2 lbs powdered sugar
  • (*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions

1. There’s no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the “sugar-splash” factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.

***************************************************OR-

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Buttercream-Icing

rachel2053_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel2053_cake Posted 21 May 2015 , 11:07am
post #14 of 14

I made one of these just the other day and crumb coated with buttercream then used fondant to decorate... worked well for me! 

And for my buttercream frosting I use 500g icing sugar, 200g salted butter, 200g unsalted, 100g trex and then dash of milk, and any flavourings normally vanilla :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%