Edible Image Printing - Canon Mg5620 Problem!

Decorating By Lillibelles Updated 19 May 2015 , 1:52am by costumeczar

Lillibelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lillibelles Posted 17 May 2015 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 4

We just purchased a brand new Canon MG5620 printer (from Best Buy) to use for printing on icing sheets. We purchased a full set of inks from Icing Images. The problem is that the only ink cartridge that is printing is the cyan. The large black cartridge prints very faintly. Small black, yellow, and magenta do not print AT ALL. I have set up according to Icing Images's instructions (for printer settings) and have even run some head cleanings, but to no avail. We get no error messages on the printer itself, and it seems to recognize that the cartridges are installed.

When we remove the cartridges, we can see that the cyan cartridge is very "juicy" and there is actually a bit of pooled ink on the contact point under the sponge, but the other cartridges do not leave that "pool."

Has anyone else had this issue? I thought I'd ask here first since it is the weekend and Icing Images is not open for me to call their support line. Should all the cartridges leave a pool of ink where the sponge touches the print head?

Any insight is appreciated!

3 replies
soods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soods Posted 18 May 2015 , 2:17am
post #2 of 4

Hi, I had the same issue with the same printer and I called the lovely folks at icing images.  From what I remember they told me to pull of the little rubber knob thing and then put it back on.  It was something about the air needed to get in for it to flow.  But honestly I would give them a call - they are awesome at helping you figure out what is wrong

kathyw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyw Posted 19 May 2015 , 12:33am
post #3 of 4

I have the same printer and also have had that problem.  My research has showed me that the printer is notoriously bad at recognizing non-OEM cartridges.(is finicky with cartridges that are not Canon)

I try a few different things to get it working.....I do a print head clean.  If that doesn't work then a deep cleaning (but that uses a lot of ink).  I also remove the cartridges and put them back in.  

I'm not sure if that will help.  Good luck.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 May 2015 , 1:52am
post #4 of 4

I had a problem that was similar with the Canon 5220. When you pull the little tab off of the cartridge before putting it in the printer, it really needs to be pulled off. If even a little piece of the tab is still there it can keep the cartridge from working, Don't ask me why, but when I peeled a tiny bit more of it off (don't remove the gold part on the label, just the removable tear-off part) it worked 100% fine. Check to see if you've removed all of the part that needs to be removed or if there's a part that's still on there. It can be a tiny part but it affects it for some reason.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%