Buttercream Icing On Tres Leches

Baking By MomoRox Updated 8 Oct 2005 , 8:49pm by flayvurdfun

MomoRox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoRox Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 7

I noticed that on all the recipes for Tres Leches cakes are "light". Have any of you used a buttercream icing to ice a Tres Leches cake? I know you can get a wedding cake from Fiesta in Tres Leches but I wonder what kind of icing they use. I am actually making this for a friend but wanted to be creative with icing so thought to use buttercream. What do you guys think?

6 replies
SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 1:16am
post #2 of 7

MY AUNT FROM PUERTO RICO ALWAYS MAKE TRES LECHES.SHE SELLS CAKES AND GIVE CLASSES. SHE USES MARSHMALLOW FROSTING. I THINK THAT THE BUTTERCREAM MIGHT BE A LITTLE TO HEAVY ON THE TASTE SIDE AS TOO THE MARSHMALLOW BEING NICE AND LIGHT JUST LIKE THE CAKE IS. SO IT WILL GO WELL TOGETHER...... THATS MY THOUGHT.... HOPE EVERYHING GOES WELL FOR YOU....

SHADDI

pkcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkcakes Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 3:31am
post #3 of 7

I'm not too sure about buttercream for a tres leches. I just have tasted it either with the regular frosting (that it's made using egg whites and sugar) or with dulce de leche (caramel icing?). This last one it's called 4 leches.

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 3:47am
post #4 of 7

whipped cream type frosting is used for tres leches

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 10:35am
post #5 of 7

Hi, I grew up eating tres leches and make it frequently. I think regular buttercream maybe be a bit over the top sweet wise for it. Since the cake is soaked with the mixture containing sweetened condensed milk, it is already very, very sweet. If you were set on using buttercream, I would use an Italian Meringue Buttercream vs. the regular powdered sugar buttercream. HTH!

Berta

MomoRox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomoRox Posted 29 Sep 2005 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys. I didn't even think about the the icing being too sweet. I was just thinking about a decorating icing. Thanks for bringing that to my attention icon_biggrin.gif

Is whipping icing still easy to use for decorations? I noticed boxes for mixing from wilton before but never tried it.

Thanks again.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 7

I have and its wonderful..... if you read the post I made about recommending recipes you would know how well it tasted...it wasnt too heavy, and every one just died when they tasted it..... I ended up with like 3 cake orders because of it.... it will be great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%