That Was Easy! I'll Tell Ya What I Know!

Decorating By katy625 Updated 16 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm by Parable

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:22am
post #61 of 72

Just be aware--the first time I made this and let it sit overnight per the recipe, I would have sworn it went bad it was so hard. But if you break it off (it's like a rock) then work it for just a short time, it becomes clay-like. As for bloom, I thought that was why people used candy melts so that it didn't do that? I used it to make some simple angel figurines and they were hard enough to put on the cake, but soft enough that you could still eat them like a solid choclate Easter bunny (not that I would know, haha). It's very fun to work with and so easy to make. It doesn't taste bad, either.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:30am
post #62 of 72

Thanks for all the great info. I can't wait to try this! icon_wink.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 3:35pm
post #63 of 72

I also wanted to try this after reading this post and I used 10oz of white chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of clear karo syrup and when I mixed it a bunch of oil appeared as I was stirring I poured it out and continued mixing and then I poured it out of the bowl onto parchment paper and it has a small rim of dryed oil around it and I left it over night and this morning I went to see how hard it was and it's not hard like a rock at all. What did I do wrong fellow CC'ers?

Chippi!

amytracy1981 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amytracy1981 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #64 of 72

I tried using the wilton recipe with the wilton candy melts a few years ago to make some roses and it worked and tasted great (kinda tasted like a tootsie roll). I am anxious to try this again (with the chocolate chips this time) to try molding figures, hoping it will be easier to get a lot of details into the faces then it is with fondant.

amytracy1981 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:45pm
post #65 of 72
Quote:
Quote:

I also wanted to try this after reading this post and I used 10oz of white chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of clear karo syrup and when I mixed it a bunch of oil appeared as I was stirring I poured it out and continued mixing and then I poured it out of the bowl onto parchment paper and it has a small rim of dryed oil around it and I left it over night and this morning I went to see how hard it was and it's not hard like a rock at all. What did I do wrong fellow CC'ers?

Chippi!

Mine did the same thing, try kneading it all back together now that it has cooled and then wrap it in saran wrap and let it sit overnight. It should be fine.

amytracy1981 Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 4:53pm
post #66 of 72

I was watching the food network Cake Challenge the other night I think it was "Newlywed Cakes"? One of the decorators used modeling chocolate to cover a cake that looked like a box (like a plain brown moving box). But the way she covered it was in peices, like each side of the cake had it's own peice. It made the cake look like a real box, nice clean edges and everything. I would think if you wanted to cover a cake with modeling chocolate that way would be easier then actually having one big piece that had to molded around all of the corners and edges, that sounds like it would be kind of tricky. But I could be wrong, I've never covered a cake in it before. icon_rolleyes.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 5:44pm
post #67 of 72

Thank you will give that a try icon_smile.gif Your idea of cutting pieces separately sounds good. The various photos i have seen of objects and such look like they were done by sections. Ty for your help! icon_smile.gif

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 14 Jan 2010 , 6:22pm
post #68 of 72

I know of a pastry shop that is high end that uses what the owner refers to as, "Rolled White Chocolate". I have searched and searched and could not find a recipe. I even resorted to contacting chefs of schools and even some chefs abroad. No luck. I have purchased some of the rolled white chocolate and it is divine, but it is NOT candy clay/modeling chocolate. It's better. This is the only thing that they use on their cakes and it rolls out just like fondant. The taste is just like a nice piece of white chocolate. It's a gazillion times better than fondant. If I had to guess it is a combo of white chocolate and fondant. Which I have tried and it's still not it. The owner's wife makes it and they are not willing to share the recipe.

Maybe someone out there knows what I'm talking about and has the recipe??????

cakeymom

Sandi4tpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandi4tpc Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:34am
post #69 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeymom

I know of a pastry shop that is high end that uses what the owner refers to as, "Rolled White Chocolate". I have searched and searched and could not find a recipe. I even resorted to contacting chefs of schools and even some chefs abroad. No luck. I have purchased some of the rolled white chocolate and it is divine, but it is NOT candy clay/modeling chocolate. It's better. This is the only thing that they use on their cakes and it rolls out just like fondant. The taste is just like a nice piece of white chocolate. It's a gazillion times better than fondant. If I had to guess it is a combo of white chocolate and fondant. Which I have tried and it's still not it. The owner's wife makes it and they are not willing to share the recipe.

Maybe someone out there knows what I'm talking about and has the recipe??????

cakeymom

That sounds delicious! I'd love to see a recipe too.

jenlynnlmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlynnlmt Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:40am
post #70 of 72

so i used the recipe on whats cooking america.net and mine doesnt seem right..its still really soft.. i let it set for two hours..do i need to let it set longer??

jenlynnlmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlynnlmt Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 5:44am
post #71 of 72

and its chunks when i mixed it it was smooth

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 16 Jan 2010 , 4:41pm
post #72 of 72

I used candy clay, a while back, for the first time and love this stuff. There was another thread that said that it was OK that it seizes up when adding color and they were right. Mine siezed when I used Wilton gel but it hardened overnight and worked just great the next day. I used it to make the Sunflower Tea Set in my photos. Now I wish I had seen this thread and had tried to cover the entire teapot and cups too. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%