Humid Weather Affecting Mmf!?

Decorating By minicoopermel Updated 6 May 2015 , 7:11pm by Spring24

minicoopermel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicoopermel Posted 6 May 2015 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 5

I'm going to make my first wedding cake with Marshmellow Fondant this August.  I'm in Michigan(US) so it CAN be humid or cold, no telling.  

SO. I have a 4 tier cake to deliver and they are having an outdoor wedding but the cake will be in a barn and out of direct sunlight.  

Will this cake melt or have damage if I set it up at 10am and the guest don't arrive until 4-5pm? 

Should the kitchen workers put it in the walk in cooler until just before the guest arrive?

I use this buttercream recipe: 1 cup salted butter, 1 cup Shortening with 3.5grams TF  8 cups PWD sugar, 2 tsp vanilla. 

HELP! Thanks!

4 replies
Spring24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spring24 Posted 6 May 2015 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 5

It's hard to tell unless you know the weather.  I'm not sure how humid it gets up there, but here in the Southeast I definitely wouldn't leave it out all day because the humidity can definitely affect it, melt it, make it really tacky to the touch.  I'd do my best to have it set up within just a couple hours of the reception if possible.  At the same time, I'd also worry about the heat change and condensation of bringing it out of a cooler into the warm air for display.  You don't want any bubbles, color running or even decorations potentially falling off.  Can you just keep it inside in room-temperature location until 3 or 4pm?

minicoopermel Posted 6 May 2015 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 5

Yes that's what I'm thinking I'll need to do.  It's about an hour away from me so maybe I will just semi assemble it and only have to put the 2 top tiers on when I get there. Praying it will just be nice and breezy. I looked up with barn the wedding is at and it's hard to tell if it's air conditioned or not. I'm going to call and ask. 

Thanks!

minicoopermel Posted 6 May 2015 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 5

Yes that's what I'm thinking I'll need to do.  It's about an hour away from me so maybe I will just semi assemble it and only have to put the 2 top tiers on when I get there. Praying it will just be nice and breezy. I looked up with barn the wedding is at and it's hard to tell if it's air conditioned or not. I'm going to call and ask. 

Thanks!

Spring24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spring24 Posted 6 May 2015 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 5

I'm actually having a plantation/barn wedding and making my own cake...I'm going with no fondant whatsoever for that reason!  :D   Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%