Is It Easy Too....

Decorating By CakemanOH Updated 27 Sep 2005 , 12:40pm by smileyface

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 3

Flip a large square or round 16'' or 18'' out of a pan to a cooling rack? Do they make racks that big to hold them??? Just wondered because I have done a 12 by 18 with no problem but just wonder what to do if it ever breaks coming out of the pan. What do you do in that case.

2 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 12:33pm
post #2 of 3

I have used my huge cutting board to flip cakes on to. I just place the cutting board on top and flip it over and pick up board..and oh yeah I usually line the cutting board with parchment paper so the cake wont stick. the only time I have had a problem is when I dont "free the sides" of the cakes first....

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 3

The biggest cooling rack I have seen so far is just big enough for an 12 x 18. Maybe you could cut some sturdy cardboard or even plywood or masonite covered with contact paper if you are doing a lot of the large square cakes. I think as long as you support it well, you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of the time if a small piece breaks or you get a crack, you can fix it with icing or filling. I had an 11 x 15 break once when I flipped it out. I think it might have been a bad cake mix because not only did it break, it crumbled so bad that I couldn't piece it back together.

Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%