Wedding Cake

Baking By amybaez86 Updated 5 May 2015 , 12:20pm by amybaez86

amybaez86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybaez86 Posted 4 May 2015 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone,

I am going to be making a wedding cake, the bridge is asking for round, hex, round shape for 125 people.

Can anyone suggest what size each tier should be? 6'' round, 10'' hex, 14'' round? Would this yield 125 servings? 

Shouldn't I have more than 125 servings in case someone wants more cake? 

4 replies
maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 4 May 2015 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 5

Hexagons come in 6,9,12,15, unless you cut your own [equals wasted cake servings that should be charged for].

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-serving-guide.cfm

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 4 May 2015 , 9:52pm
post #3 of 5

Hi amybaez86,

I looked on Earlene's cake chart (I tend to use that instead of Wilton's) and I get :

6" round - 8 servings

9" hex - 18 servings

14" round - 65 servings 

A lot less than you need. I also never include the top tier since most bride's will keep that for a year. 

How about this?

8" round  - 15 servings

12" hex - 45 servings

15"  round - 80 servings

You get your 125 and don't need to touch the top tier.  As to your other comment, I always make the cake as close as I can to the number of servings they've ordered, unless it's something ridiculous like "I want a 3 tier cake for 30 people". Then I have the reality conversation with them and suggest alternatives. Most of the time, I folks wind up with about 10-15 more servings than they need because of the pan sizes and the math; I don't charge them anything additional for that.

Regards,

Frank

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 4 May 2015 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 5

Just to add one more thing - I always supply the venue with a page on how to cut the cake (I use Wilton's diagram) so they actually cut it the right way. You wouldn't believe how many inexperienced people make a mess out of your hard work.

Frank

amybaez86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybaez86 Posted 5 May 2015 , 12:20pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for your help! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%