How Do I Keep Sugar Glass From Turning Yellow?

Sugar Work By Sally Loda Updated 4 Jun 2015 , 1:48pm by geekycakes

Sally Loda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sally Loda Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 6

I have made a few attempts so create sugar glass.  It yellowed each time.  What am I doing wrong?  Ugh! so frustrating!  One tip I read said that my thermometer might be off.  I am going to calibrate it and try again.   Any other suggestions?!

5 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 6

Well, your thermometer could be off, but when you get to 300F, your gonna start getting color.  

Couple things, try cooking it faster.  The longer it takes to get to temp, the more of the sucrose will break down and cause yellowing.

Corn syrup could be added.  A lot of hard candies use it to help keep it clear.

I would suggest trying isomalt if you really want an easy way to make it.  It doesn't attract moisture as much as sugar, and won't get sticky as fast.

Check out Sugar Delites, she has the pre-cooked isomalt.  All you  have to do is melt it in the microwave.  I used it for a lens on a camera cake I made a couple of weeks ago, and it worked great.  

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2015 , 12:28am
post #3 of 6

You're definitely getting it too hot if it turns yellow. Are you putting the pan in a pan of cold water when it gets to the right temperature as you cook it? You need to do that to cool it down fast so that it stops heating up, or the residual heat will take it past the temp that you want it to be and it could start getting darker.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 31 May 2015 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 6

I agree.. try isomalt if you want something really crystal clear! 

LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 1 Jun 2015 , 5:09pm
post #5 of 6

@MYOM-Dominic wrote his top tips for working with isomalt here: http://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/30598/chef-dominic-palazzolos-isomalt-tips

He recommends using distilled water to prevent minerals turning the cooked sugar yellow.

geekycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geekycakes Posted 4 Jun 2015 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 6

Count me in the "use isomalt if you want it really clear" camp!  Isomalt will caramelize at a much higher temperature.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%