How Much Should I Charge For A Deposit

Business By Sprinklee32 Updated 29 Apr 2015 , 5:53pm by cakesbycathy

Sprinklee32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sprinklee32 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 2:09am
post #1 of 9

Hi so I started my little bakery at home for the time being I make cake pops so I want to know how much should I charge for a deposit ? Right now I'm doing where if there total was twenty dollars worth of cake pops the deposit would be 50% from the total which would be 10$ deposit and two weeks before thier event they have to be payed in full which the total would be 20$ so basically they've payed 30$ in total for cakes and deposit I want to know if that's fair or way too much ? I need answers ASAP !!! Thank you 

8 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 2:47am
post #2 of 9

Your customers are paying you $30 for a $20 order?  Dang!  Teach us all your secret to making extra... :)

The deposit (or retainer as some call it) is to hold the date and guarantee the work, but it should go toward the total owed...

So if their order comes to $20 and you use a 50% deposit amount, they would pay $10 upon order and $10 twe weeks before...

Though, for a $20 order, I would recommend just getting payment in full up front.  Anything less than $50 (at least) shouldn't be an issue to get full payment at the time of order.  

Do you have a minimum order amount?

$20 is by my guess not even a dozen cake pops?

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 4:16am
post #3 of 9

No $ 30.00 isn't too much,  its too little. And yes it's not fair to you. Make a minimum order amount at least $ 50.00 With 50% deposit and $ 20.00 total order, yes 10.00 deposit and $ 10.00 2 week s before the event. 

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 4:22am
post #4 of 9

I charge a retainer for cake orders, and a deposit for equipment (a deposit is something that is paid back).

I just can't bother turning om my oven and taking all that time/ effort to prep and clean for a mere $20.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 4:26am
post #5 of 9

^^^ Or chase someone down for $10 and later for $10 more.....

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 4:39am
post #6 of 9

My minimum order is $ 75. 00 I have ordered from other home bakers and the least that they charged is $25.00. But one of those home bakers has a high turnaround a week and she has everything in stock.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 9

I'm with Jedi.  A $20 order isn't worth interrupting my scheduled nap.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 9

If you rent a commercial kitchen and need to increase your volume, small and simple orders can be a great way of filling slack time. We charged $30 for a dozen basic cupcakes and they were very profitable because we could work the production time around other orders that week. However cake pops are probably too labor-intensive to be worthwhile.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 9

I have a $50 minimum order.  Anything less than $100 needs to be paid in full to book the order.  Over $100 requires a 50% non refundable retainer and the rest is due 2 weeks before the event.  Less than 2 weeks requires the whole order to be paid in full.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%