Help Please

Decorating By naubin Updated 6 May 2015 , 8:45am by naubin

naubin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naubin Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:16am
post #1 of 23

I have a request for a cake that has a curled type ribbon decoration, and I am not sure where the bride to be found the picture.  Does anyone know if this is a fondant ribbon, or actual ribbon?  While I am at it, what do you call these flowers, are they just blossoms?

thanks for any advice

22 replies
naubin Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:17am
post #2 of 23

I am not sure where my picture went???

naubin Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:28am
post #3 of 23
Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 12:25pm
post #4 of 23

Can't see the pic Naubin, try again :/ 

naubin Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 23

naubin Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 23

Apparently I can not attach the picture... I am not sure why, I am trying to do this on my desktop.  I don't see anywhere that I can add a picture in this post??

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 23

I think the only way around this problem is to paste the photo into your gallery then copy and paste to here. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 23

the search field and the purple banner where you get to the gallery are not present (on my computer anyway) -- i think they must be under construction?

naubin Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 12:41am
post #9 of 23

Wedding cake Design

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naubin Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 10:26am
post #11 of 23

Thank you imagenthatnj, now I can remove the picture from my gallery.  I don't want people to think I am taking credit for a cake I didn't do.  

Great, I was hoping that was a real ribbon, I was going crazy trying to figure out how I could make something edible that could be that perfect!!

Thank you again!!

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 12:09pm
post #12 of 23

naubin - please post back on your success of doing that with a ribbon. I'd be interested in the technique, looks nice :) 

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 6:59pm
post #13 of 23

Wondering if that's just bear grass instead of ribbon?

@ DecoPac.com: http://www.decopac.com/search.jsp?searchTerm=bear+grass

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 7:03pm
post #14 of 23

I think there's a misunderstanding somewhere here. The real ribbon I meant was the white ribbon around the cake. Naubin, were you asking about the curled "ribbon" or whatever that is?

Of course there is a way to bake real ribbon into curls, but I've seen that for hair clips!

SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 8:02pm
post #15 of 23

I don't think it is fondant.  It is either ribbon or some other type of "fiber" that can be curled.

imagenthatnj Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 8:24pm
post #16 of 23

I don't think it is fondant either...but when I said it's regular ribbon, I was referring to the white ribbon that circles the cake. Then I realized she could have been asking about the curly stuff. I just don't want her to be misled.

naubin Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 12:30pm
post #17 of 23

Thank you all for all of your help, sorry for the confusion.  Yes i was refering to the curly ribbon, and i do believe bakerblackcat is correct, it looks like it may be bear grass:)  Hopefully I can find some in coral color, or possibly paint it with petal dust.

I have lots of time, it isn't due until July... Just starting with the planning:)

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 12:45pm
post #18 of 23

Try using pasta.  cook linguini - whatever width you like, until soft.  lay out in the shape you want and let dry.  (I laid it out on foam and held it in shape with pins into the foam) paint with food color.  It is how I made the antennas on the ladybug and worked really well

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 12:48pm
post #19 of 23
SunshineBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineBaker Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 1:46pm
post #20 of 23

@yortma -- what a great idea!  I had never seen that or heard of that, but will certainly keep it in mind for future cake ideas.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 1:52pm
post #21 of 23

brilliant, yortma

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 1:56pm
post #22 of 23

Hi, I've made that cake, I think it's in my photos. I didn't do the long bits, but they can be done with wire and florist tape. Stretch the tape out so the glue is activated and put a flat piece on either side of a straight piece of wire, to make a kind of wire sandwich. Then, just trim the tape to the tapered shape you want and bend the wire as you want it.  That way it can be done in any colour you need. 

The really curly ones I did by wrapping tape around a straight wire so it was tightly wound all the way down, then curled the wire around a dowel until I got the spiral I was looking for. 

As far as I could tell the flowers are a fantasy one and I made them by amending a rose petal cutter until it was the shape I wanted. 

Hth  :) 

naubin Posted 6 May 2015 , 8:45am
post #23 of 23

Thank you all for your advice, it gives me some ideas to try:0).  I really value and appreciate the help everyone so generously gives!!  Have a wonderful day in the busy cake world:0).  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%