Smash Cake Question

Baking By Webake2gether Updated 30 Apr 2015 , 1:54am by craftybanana2

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 2:29am
post #1 of 16

I was  just curious what size cake for a smash cake other bakers make and if they do one or two layers? I was thinking of doing a 2 layer 6". I'm doing 2 smash cakes and 2 quarter sheet cakes. It's for a boy and girl 1st birthday party  :)

15 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:07am
post #2 of 16

I did 4" and even that was big, 2 layers (presentation isn't so flat). 

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:11am
post #3 of 16

I find that a two layer 5 in is perfect. Still plenty of room to decorate and it's not bigger than the child's head.  

Webake2gether Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:18am
post #4 of 16

Thanks!! I know 6" is probably too big but that is the smallest pan I have currently but definitely will buy a few smaller ones. We are newbies so we usually bake 6" 2 layer cakes to practice and grow our skills. 

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:30am
post #5 of 16

I read somewhere where they used an empty large tuna/chicken can to get a 4in size (which is still a good size for a smash).  

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 4:03am
post #6 of 16

I've used a 4" several times and to me it was the perfect size!

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 4:24am
post #7 of 16

I did  6 inches for my  nephews that share a birthday one year and it was not a good idea. One wasted pretty much all of it and the other wanted to eat all of it! That's a ton of cake for such a little guy to eat. Since then I do 2 layer 4 inch cakes. Perfect size :-)

tigercane2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigercane2006 Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 4:17am
post #8 of 16

I do two layers with a 4" pan. They're big for a little kid but it's a little mini thing that doesn't take much batter :) 

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 16

In a pinch you can also cut out a small cake with a large circle cookie cutter to get just the size you are needing.

On a related note.   I also try to keep my smash cakes to butter cream only to make sure no choking hazards are accidentally left on the cake when they are given to a small child. 

I have seen some beautiful smash cakes decorated with fondant work and unless you make sure to remove all of them, a small child can choke on fondant.   I am a bit of a worry wort.

Webake2gether Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 5:20pm
post #10 of 16

@Happyfood- that's really good advice on the decoration part I didn't even think about that and I'm a worry wart too. Thankfully all the fondant work wasn't small on the smash cakes we did plus I know the my friend took them off :) but something to definitely renewed for next time. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 16

yep, 4" round, bc only.  

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 16

I give a choice, either a 2 layer 4" cake or 1 layer 6" cake and only buttercream.  Its too hard to for the kids to break through fondant.  The only times I do fondant are for birthday pictures where the cake probably wont even be eaten, it just looks better.

Webake2gether Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 16

We don't cover any of our cakes completely in fondant only simple decorations. Unless someone requested it our cakes will always be all buttercream. You can do neat things with fondant don't get me wrong but we like doing only buttercream covered cakes. 

liltiege Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liltiege Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 8:56pm
post #14 of 16

I just did a giant cake and a smash cake for my daughter's 1st birthday.  I used a big tin can from canned pineapple to bake the smash cake. It was the perfect size! 

Webake2gether Posted 28 Apr 2015 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 16

Awesome thanks for all the suggestions everyone I will certainly try the can ideas :) 

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 1:54am
post #16 of 16

Don't know if this helps, I just had a smash cake made for my son's 1st birthday. It was a one layer 4" round vanilla cake with buttercream icing. It was hard getting him to try it out since he's so conservative with his hands still, but he did stick his thumb in it when he was comfortable with it. Not much smashing, more like gentle smooshing, ha ha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%