Help! Rosette Cake

Decorating By danisolano.93 Updated 4 May 2015 , 9:55pm by Frank68

danisolano.93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danisolano.93 Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone, I need to make a rosette cake for saturday, it is my first time doing it so I dont know which frosting is better, if the american buttercream or the swiss.meringue buttercream. Can someone tell me which one works better please. I dont wan't my roses to "melt". 

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 8

Either one will work, Since you use so much icing so fast when you do those cakes it won't melt from being in the bag too long (from the heat of your hand) so just use whichever you prefer.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 9:35am
post #3 of 8

I made one of these last Saturday.  I used SMBC and it worked brilliantly.  

I half filled my 16" piping bag (so as not too much weight to hold).  When it needed refilling, I refilled, then squeezed out the 'old' buttercream back into the bowl.  This was 1) to avoid a big air bubble and 2) to avoid the warmed up buttercream my hand had been resting against.

I used Wilton tip 2D but 1M would look so similar.  Also, I used my 1.5" circle cutter to slightly indent / mark-out my thick crumb coat and filled each circle in, so all rosettes would be the same size.

10" and 12" tiers took about 45mins to pipe.  Rosettes required approx 1,300 grams of SMBC (+ extra for filling layers and outer coat).  All up 6 kg of SMBC. 

After piping, I popped the cake into the fridge to firm up before delivering.  By the time the bride & groom cut the cake it would have been out of the fridge for 7 hours.  When I picked up the pedestal the next day, the venue manager said it was beautiful/delicious.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3337694/rosette-cake-with-gumpaste-roses

danisolano.93 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you very much both of you for your answers and tips, I will keep them in my mind by time Im doing the cake.

Regards :)

firefightergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firefightergirl Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 8

I have made a rosette cake in the past. They are such beautiful cakes!  This is the buttercream recipe I use and it "crusts" that way the roses don't melt off.  It's delicious.

1/2 cup shortening

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted

2 tablespoons of milk (I end up having to use more)

In a large bowl cream together the butter, shortening and vanilla. Blend in the sugar one cup at a time. Beat in the milk and continue to mix it until it is light and fluffy.

I also put the cake in the fridge the day or 6 or so hours before delivering. Most of my customers enjoy the cake cold but it can sit out and "thaw" if that's what the customer prefers. :)    Another tip is to use something circular (cup, cookie cutter etc) to "shape" out how big the rosettes will be so they will all be the same size. Best of luck to you! 

PS- shortening is the "hardening factor for frosting. If you use all butter it's likely to melt off.  

danisolano.93 Posted 4 May 2015 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks firefightergirl, I've made the rosette cake and everything went well.

danisolano.93 Posted 4 May 2015 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks firefightergirl, I've made the rosette cake and everything went well.

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 4 May 2015 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 8

HI danisolano.93

Hi danisolano.93 - I've made a few of these in the past, practice on a wax sheet a few times before you do it on the cake. SMB works perfect, make sure you beat it till it's silky smooth. You'll also want to be semi-consistent with the size of the rosette's.

Best,

Frank

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%