Suppliers

Business By TraciJ Updated 25 Sep 2005 , 8:38pm by littlebubbieschocolates

TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:32am
post #1 of 9

How do you all get your supplies - both the food items and non food items-? If you have a business and can get things wholesale, where do you go? Online or local? Who?

8 replies
blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:38am
post #2 of 9

I am set up as a business and purchase from ckproducts.com and americolor. Locally I buy Eggs, Sugar, Butter, Flour etc from Sam's Club, Costco, and a bakery supply in Dallas.

Are you looking for something in particular?

Berta

TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:49am
post #3 of 9

Berta,

Nope, I'm just trying to see what the "standard" is and if I've overlooked something. I would like to get my supply costs down and didn't know if there was something I was missing. I'm going to try to get licensed and something up and running in about a year or so. So saving money is important!

Thanks for your input. thumbs_up.gif

blittle6 Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:54am
post #4 of 9

It is hard to find ways to save a few dollars. I had to get my tax permits and everything so I could shop wholesale. I can now get a 50# tub of hi ratio shortening for $29, 18# of meringue powder for $30, 50# of cake flour for $11 etc. from the bakery supply in Dallas. I am still trying to find a cheaper place to buy butter, but Costco so far has the lowest price. CK Products is definitely a great place for stuff. Good luck and let me know if I can help you out with anything!

Berta

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:55am
post #5 of 9

The bakery I work for goes through Dawn Foods and Bakery Crafts for the cake kits. There are quite a few suppliers out there that are really good. Look for some references in the back of some cake books for some ideas if you like.

blittle6 Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:56am
post #6 of 9

I also set up accounts at Bakery Crafts, DecoPac, and Wilton, but I haven't bought anything yet.

Berta

sunlover00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunlover00 Posted 25 Sep 2005 , 1:04pm
post #7 of 9

blittle6, what kind of license do you have? I have a vendor's license because I also sell wholesale wedding invitations. Would this type also "pass" as a food vendor and allow me to get discounted products? or do I need a special "food" license?

blittle6 Posted 25 Sep 2005 , 1:25pm
post #8 of 9

All you need in TX is a sales tax permit and to be incorporated. We formed a limited liability company then got our sales tax permit. We are looking for a commercial place so I can get my food license, but it has been difficult. I had to have the tax permit # for most of the places i signed up for.

Berta

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 25 Sep 2005 , 8:38pm
post #9 of 9

well my hub works for walmart so i get a discount there which helps.. plus i go to sams club its great bc i shop on line and they pull all the stuff that i need and i get my hub to run in and pick it up..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%