Eat Gumpaste?

Decorating By momofjil Updated 28 Sep 2005 , 9:29am by jlvmorales

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 20

I was told that you can not eat gumpaste flowers. While I imagine it would taste horrible, are they edible?

19 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 20

I thought you COULD NOT eat them.

good36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
good36 Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 20

I just bought a can of gum paste at Michaels. It has a chart of nutritional values on it, so Yes it is edible. The taste is another thing!
Judy

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 20

They are edible.

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 20

they taste like candy.. they are ok

Sangria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangria Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 20

You can, but they are not really good.

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 20

Page 111 of The 2005 Wilton Yearbook, bottom right-hand corner: Gum Paste ...
dries hard and is meant more for decoration than consumption.

I made gum paste flowers and hubby and kids ate them....nothing bad happened to them! LOL

It does dry very hard!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 20

way to go littlebigmomma use the ole trick of trying out something new on guinea pigs!!!

I like my daughter more than my husband so I let him try all kinds of things.....not so much my daughter.....shes my partner so wouldnt want to watse a trip to the hospital on her... he can drive himself on the other hand....lol

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 10:36pm
post #9 of 20

Lastingmoments..you're cracking me up!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:26am
post #10 of 20

I heard on Wiltons board somewhere, awhile ago that its mainly used for decoration but you can eat it. the consumption, is a little less to be desired...and in fact said those things you get in stores, the barbie things that are hard are gumpaste.

jennjd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennjd Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:29am
post #11 of 20

i started our doing gingerbread and i pride my self on everything being edible that i put out (once you go gingerbread you can't go back) now everything tasting good is another story. you could eat everything but i wouldn't recomend some things icon_rolleyes.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 8:19am
post #12 of 20

you can eat gumpaste but it doesn't have much taste however if you use wire in the gumpaste for things like flowers then they are classed as inedible

momofjil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momofjil Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 3:11pm
post #13 of 20

You all are too funny. Thanks for the advice and humor.

tanyap Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyap Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 20

wow! I'm a newbie and I've been reading all sorts of forums about all sorts of stuff...

I'm really motivated...I'm thinking of taking a gumpaste class...I didn't even know what exactly gumpaste decorations were until a couple of hours ago when I started looking on this website.

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 8:05pm
post #15 of 20

I know this is going to sound stupid.....but here goes.

What is the point, then, of going through ALL the hard work to make everything on a cake edible, if it can't or isn't recommended to be eaten?

I mean, I try to make everything on my cakes edible....but find myself telling the customers..."Well, it's edible, but you probably don't want to eat it." I have just recently began pondering why go through all the trouble when I am just going to not recommend it to be eaten. LOL

pooker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pooker Posted 27 Sep 2005 , 8:31pm
post #16 of 20

missmersh this is a good question. I have often wondered this myself. All that effort to make beautiful flowers or decorations that ARE edible, but you recommend they DO NOT eat them. Why not just use fake flowers etc?

Some fondant characters, etc, are just too cute, though.

So, what's a baker to do? icon_rolleyes.gif

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 6:33am
post #17 of 20

I make gumpaste flowers because my customers like the look of them. Also once a wedding or birthday is finished the spray of flowers can be lifted off and kept as a keepsake. As long as it is kept dry gumpaste will keep forever. I still have the sprays of flowers I made for my wedding cake 6 years ago and I still have wonderful memories everytime I look at them

missmersh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmersh Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 7:22am
post #18 of 20

Pooker,
I guess we continue to make them!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif Just to prove we can MAKE pretty flowers and cute figures and whatever else tickles our fancy out of icing!!!!

I also agree with Miss Baritone too because even though you can't actually eat the flowers, they are pretty (most times prettier than artificial ones) and you can keep them!!! And you don't have to worry whether they are poisonous or not. icon_smile.gif

So, all in all the effort we go through IS definitely worth it!!!!

And it keeps us going trying to do bigger and better things with our talents!!

I just wish I wasn't soooo darned afraid of gumpaste!! LOL

Leslie

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 7:43am
post #19 of 20

home made gum paste can be eaten without risking your health. If made with gum arabic you don´t want to eat it - at least the danish health authorities are not sure how it will affect the health. But with tylo powder it is perfectly safe, as tylo powder is made from cotton seeds. Just my opinion.

My own gum paste is made of: confectioners sugar, glucose, egg-white and tylo powder. (The egg-whites are treatet in some way, so they are perfectly safe to use).

jlvmorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlvmorales Posted 28 Sep 2005 , 9:29am
post #20 of 20

I am so happy to FINALLY have an answer to this question. I always wondered, but never thought about asking. Thank you MOMOFJIL for asking this question.

Lisa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%