Confusing Charts - Help!

Decorating By mixaleena Updated 24 Sep 2005 , 5:18pm by alimonkey

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 18

All of the cake charts say something different...I am having a hard time understanding and then reading on here people have said different things. Please help. I have to know this by Tuesday!

This is what I am making.

(1) 8" Round 4" high.
(2) 10" Round 4" high.
(1) 12" Round 4" high.
(2) 13 x 18" (two 9x13 put together) double layer.

How many people do you approximate that will feed? I need to feed close to 300. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

17 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 18

I'm only coming up with 175-180. Even adding a 16" round would only bring it up to 265. If you do a 2-layer full sheet (that's 8 single layers of 9x13) you will get 287 1"x2" servings, which should be close enough, just check with the bride (assuming this is for a wedding.)

Ali

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 18

Are you looking for the number of "Party" size servings or "Wedding" size servings, because there is a difference!

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 18

I have noticed the differences in the charts and party cakes versus wedding cakes.... what I know people do is provide a cutting chart with the cake. Giving them the size of which the slices should be cut. If you use Earlenes chart then provide that or wiltons and provide that. When you give the cake to them tell them you "always" want to give suggested slice sizes to make sure you and them are on the same page with stuff.
NOW the stupid question I have is are the round layers layered or just sitting alone? Because when I asked an opinion on this from our commissary bakery here they said all those would serve approx 200 if they were served single layer...but I would think it would be more.... I am sure others that have done this can help.... I just happen to be on the phone talking to a friend who works there.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 8:17pm
post #5 of 18

I just use wiltons. Not because it is better or more accurate but since they are so widely known, it is a chart that anyone can get a hold of or research on thier site. I do explain to them that when cutting they need to be exact according to the chart i give them or it does not work. The only time i dont use wilton is with thier party sizes, i do a 2x2 slice. not a 1.5 x 2.

So that being said: I come up with 154 party slices and 204 wedding size slices.

Whit that being said, what is the design element. Can you do a cake that does not feed 300 to display and then do kitchen cakes to get 300 or are you going to display a cake feeding 300.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 18

I always round up when I make tired cakes...better to have too much than too little.

You can round up in increments of 25 and let the person pay.

There for if you need a cake to feed 250 people I will recommend them to up it to 300 and if they don't...it's ok since I always send extra cake.

I eighter send along a "Honeymoon cake" for the couple to take and/or a "Staff cake" since something horrible happened to one of my cake decorating friends.

She made a cake with the exact number of servings and when they went to serve it there was not enough cake to go around.

Mystery has never been solved and she lost a good club account. They couldn't figure out if the cake was cut wrong or if the staff helped themselves to serving.

So...the name of the game is CYA...Cover your Assets!..lol

mixaleena Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

I have noticed the differences in the charts and party cakes versus wedding cakes.... what I know people do is provide a cutting chart with the cake. Giving them the size of which the slices should be cut. If you use Earlenes chart then provide that or wiltons and provide that. When you give the cake to them tell them you "always" want to give suggested slice sizes to make sure you and them are on the same page with stuff.
NOW the stupid question I have is are the round layers layered or just sitting alone? Because when I asked an opinion on this from our commissary bakery here they said all those would serve approx 200 if they were served single layer...but I would think it would be more.... I am sure others that have done this can help.... I just happen to be on the phone talking to a friend who works there.

The rounds are layered and filled. I am using 3" pans and when they are leveled they come out to about 2" high...stacking two layers makes them 4" high. As far as the sheets, I don't know...wouldn't they come out about 3" high?
Wow...you really have to make alot of cake then to feed that many people? There is also a 6" Anniversary cake for the bride & groom...so that is not an issue here. Sorry should have given more info!

Mixee

mixaleena Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by alimonkey

I'm only coming up with 175-180. Even adding a 16" round would only bring it up to 265. If you do a 2-layer full sheet (that's 8 single layers of 9x13) you will get 287 1"x2" servings, which should be close enough, just check with the bride (assuming this is for a wedding.)

Ali

We are doing two 13 x 18" double layer filled...doesn't that make a full sheet? Or are you saying I have to do an extra one for a total of (2) full sheets to get 287? That seems like alot!

Mixee

alimonkey Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 18

Oops - missed the numbers next to the sizes. OK - so in 1"x2" (wedding sized) pieces, you get 317. Plenty!

Ali

mixaleena Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 18

OK...then I am not crazy!...when I calculated it, it should've been around 309. But I was really getting confused with those charts so I wanted actual opinion, especially to see if I was missing something somewhere.

Thanks all!
Mixee icon_lol.gif

flayvurdfun Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 11:51pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixaleena

Quote:
Originally Posted by flayvurdfun

The rounds are layered and filled. I am using 3" pans and when they are leveled they come out to about 2" high...stacking two layers makes them 4" high. As far as the sheets, I don't know...wouldn't they come out about 3" high?
Wow...you really have to make alot of cake then to feed that many people? There is also a 6" Anniversary cake for the bride & groom...so that is not an issue here. Sorry should have given more info!

Mixee

I asked because double layer will give you more slices since the slices could be shorter/thinner. I was thinking I read everything as one of each of the cakes.....I reread it and see it was actually 2 of a 10" and 2 of a 13x18.....heck with Wiltons wedding cake chart what you said you wanted to do would feed around 352 people. I also see that it says 4" high cakes using a 2" high pan...so I think you are safe. I have to rethink what I said and say what you wanted to do is fine, and you will probably have some leftover......not everyone eats cake.....who knows.....I have to go out on a limb here by myself and say I think it would be fine.....
If you have the 2006 Wilton yearbook look on page 109, you will see what I am talking about.
either way I would still run a copy of wiltons cutting guide and leave it with the customer.

mixaleena Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 11:55pm
post #12 of 18

Hey...as long as more than one person is confident I will have enough for approx 300 then we are okay! I don't know that there will be that many...and I bet that there will be leftovers...hopefully we won't even get to the actual wedding cake during the event...maybe we will just use all of the sheet and one of the 10" cakes is going to be a pixie cake...which is caramel cake (Duncan Hines Mix) with chocolate frosting and pecans drizzled with melted caramels...mmmm.

The actual wedding cake is going to be the tiers 8/10/12 covered in Marshmallow fondant.

=)

flayvurdfun Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 12:01am
post #13 of 18

ya I cant believe I didnt see that....I was thinking about it for a long time... and during the time I waited for my kids to get off the bus.... I knew something wasnt right..... then I couldnt get on quick enough to tell you....I am glad I wasnt the only one that misread the numbers....

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 1:26am
post #14 of 18

I think we are all confused. Is this what you mean?

1 8" double layer is about 20 - 24 servings
1 10" double layer is about 30 - 38 servings
another 10 inch double layer is another 30 - 38 servings
a 12" double layer is about 45 -56 servings

So far this totals 125 -156 servinngs

Then, each 13 x 18 is about 72 servings, so you have 144 servings
but some people will tell you a 13 x 18 is 90 servings. so that is 180 servings.

I get between 269 and 336 servings. If you give the cutters a cutting diagram and tell them how you want them to cut it, you ought to have enough pieces. If they cut bigger, then who knows....

Sometimes I think figuring out the servings is harder than doing the cake....

mixaleena Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 2:14pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacake

I think we are all confused. Is this what you mean?

1 8" double layer is about 20 - 24 servings
1 10" double layer is about 30 - 38 servings
another 10 inch double layer is another 30 - 38 servings
a 12" double layer is about 45 -56 servings

So far this totals 125 -156 servinngs

Then, each 13 x 18 is about 72 servings, so you have 144 servings
but some people will tell you a 13 x 18 is 90 servings. so that is 180 servings.

I get between 269 and 336 servings. If you give the cutters a cutting diagram and tell them how you want them to cut it, you ought to have enough pieces. If they cut bigger, then who knows....

Sometimes I think figuring out the servings is harder than doing the cake....

Yes, that is it...I actually will be doing the cutting on this one...it is for my sis in law...anyone know how many cake mixes I have to use in a 9X13 pan?

thanks!
Mixee

alimonkey Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 3:05pm
post #16 of 18

The pan takes 6 cups, and most mixes make 4.5-5 cups. How many you need will depend on how many cakes you will make at one time.

Ali

mixaleena Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 4:05pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks. Here is an interesting thought...do you have any idea how many eggs that is??!!

LOL...

Just a little humor... icon_biggrin.gif

Mixee

alimonkey Posted 24 Sep 2005 , 5:18pm
post #18 of 18

A LOT!

Ali

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%