Luster Dust

Decorating By rooneygirl Updated 6 Apr 2015 , 3:56am by rooneygirl

rooneygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooneygirl Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 2:07am
post #1 of 11

So I made this wedding cake last year and the bride asked for white on white with a shimmer to the base of the cake. I used Super Pearl and the cake turned out silver!  I was so upset about it but luckily the bride loved it. Now I have another wedding cake to do with the same request and don't want to use Super Pearl. Can you recommend a luster dust that adds shimmer but no color?  Thank you.

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 11

first thing i'd say is super pearl but i can't say/don't know what happened to yours --

but maybe you would like a shiny surface or could incorporate it into something more appropriate -- get a jar of gum arabic it's just a couple bucks and take a bit and dissolve in water and paint it on fondant, buttercream and see how you like it -- then i've done this and i can't remember but add some super pearl to it or dust it with sp -- y'know play around with it maybe to see if you get the look you want -- it comes out like patent leather so you might want to tamp it down a bit -- but i just use it clear then whatever color underneath shows through --

weird that that turned silver for you -- maybe it was mis-marked jar or something?

-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 2:50pm
post #3 of 11

ooh i just thought of something i would try -- i'd take some iridescent sugar or opalescent (because i already have it) and dissolve that in the water that use to mix the gum arabic into -- that might make a nice shimmery effect and brush stroke it up from the bottom so it fades maybe?

here's a pearl spray 

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=30190&categoryid=514#.VR_5vvnF9yw

y'know what else works -- a mirrored bottom board

rooneygirl Posted 4 Apr 2015 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 11

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try those out. For the SUper Pearl, first I dissolved it in some grain alcohol and brushed it on it two coasts and then I did a dry brush over it. Maybe I laid it on too thick so it looks silver. Here is a photo. 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 11

the 'elaine' one?  wow so pretty!

i just brush super pearl on -- one coat -- done 

rooneygirl Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 11

Yes, its the Elaine one and thank. Ok, I will try it on scrap fondant just one coat -do you apply it wet or dry brush it?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 5:53pm
post #8 of 11

dry with a big fluffy brush -- geraldine randlesome advised a brand new make up brush but i'm sure you already knew that --just saying --

-K8memphis Posted 5 Apr 2015 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 11

not that you knew gr said it just the about the fluffy makeup brush part

Norasmom2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom2 Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 12:56am
post #10 of 11

Unbelievably beautiful cakes Rooneygirl!  

rooneygirl Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 3:56am
post #11 of 11

oh thank you so much!!!!  Really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%