How Can Duff Sell A Netflix Cake?

Decorating By vww104 Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 5:05am by cakenutz

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:10pm
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

As for the handwashing, my m-i-l was watching an episode of 30 Minute Meals with me once, and afterwards an episode of Semi Homemade and commented on the same. They never seem to show any of these professionals washing their hands before they begin cooking/baking. I don't recall seeing Alton, Emiril, Rachel, Sandra Lee, Paula, or anyone else every washing their hands - just rinsing them occasionally. I'd like to think that they do it though and just edit it out to save air time for more interesting things.

I was thinking the opposite....Rachel, Sandra, The Barefoot Contessa and others often speak of cross-contamination and wash their hands frequently.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:29pm
post #32 of 53

I pondered on this question last night..and I realized that he WASN'T selling a "NETFLIX" cake...he was selling a Birthday cake with the "CHINESE TAKE OUT THEME" and I think they added the Netflix thing as detail.

but it all made the design "pop"

(but I still wouldn't eat his cakes..blah..lol) ( Like I'm sure someone wouldn't eat mine..lol for whatever reasons..lol..but not because I dont' wear my gloves, wash my hands and use my sanitizer! whoop!)

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:45pm
post #33 of 53

off the topic of handwashing... I got a kick out of him making a can of beans and a baked potato with his car while he was on his way back from Chicago! What a kick! Duff is obviously VERY creative. icon_smile.gif
LOL

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:47pm
post #34 of 53

I think their cakes must also taste good....I mean look at the people coming back for repeat business...I mean its one thing to want a good cake design, but I still think people want it to TASTE good as well. And it looks like they do lots of different flavors....and people were commenting at that party how good it was.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:50pm
post #35 of 53

Yea- the two girls who were eating the Pumpkin chocolate chip cake from the "Drunk Jack o Lantern" cake said that the taste was excellent just like all of his cakes always are!

And OMG - I thought for sure the cake was going to slide right onto the front porch when Geof delivered the house cake! Did anyone catch that - he practically was holding it sideways!!! I was like - holy cow - is that thing cemented together and to the board!! lol - it reminded me of the other girl who was propping the door open with her foot last week and holding the cake against her body! They must be some pretty well constructed cake - a few of them have defied gravity when turned on their sides!! LOL And the icing didn't even dent!!

But none the less- I love them all and Geof's dry dry dry sense of humor CRACKS me up EVERY time. I just sit there and laugh at the things he says with a straight face - too funny! And Duff is just so dreamy! I don't know if I'll get any work done if I win the contest - I'll just be so nervous b/c I have the biggest crush on him! Ahhhhhh icon_rolleyes.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:51pm
post #36 of 53

When I did my cake in Michigan I had to put the cake together in one area and carry to another. I was FREAKIN' OUT (short, fat arms and NO strength). A young man named Adam said "No problem I'll do it for you". He also was IN culinary school, just picked it up and carried ONE HANDED (I was praying the whole time) and the stacked tiers didn't even MOVE!! Was I impressed or what?

Even though I am more than 1/2 century in age, I think it would be really fun to work with Duff and all his cakerators! I hope there is a clause somewhere in that internship contest that PROHIBITS the contest winner from having to wash the pans......that is my LEAST fav part of cake decorating! LOL

Beth in KY

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 3:58pm
post #37 of 53

What is this intership contest with Duff I keep seeing about? How do I sign up? icon_eek.gif

deb

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:03pm
post #38 of 53

Before Duff comes on, Throwdown with Bobby Flay is on......did anyone catch that? When they made the first fried chicken (in the test kitchen) they were nearly raw in the middle.......it just does my heart good to see that.....baking is definately what I am BEST at so naturally my cooking skills need constant improvement...but when I see stuff like that...I dont feel nearly so bad.....if a pro can have a hard time frying chicken...then no wonder some of my stuff flops!

Edited to say sorry I got off topic! icon_redface.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:05pm
post #39 of 53

Sponsored by Jane Magazine (I'm not familiar with the magazine) BUT, here is a lazy way to get there. Go to the forums, General, search Ace of Cakes Contest and the link is found in the FIRST posting there. No money required and you don't have to buy a subscription. Contest is over Feb. 23 and the drawing is to take place on or "around" March 1.

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:06pm
post #40 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocakedecorator

off the topic of handwashing... I got a kick out of him making a can of beans and a baked potato with his car while he was on his way back from Chicago! What a kick! Duff is obviously VERY creative. icon_smile.gif
LOL

That was a spoof of Alton's show called Feasting on Asphalt. Hubby and I were cracking up about it because we saw Alton's show. Alton basically did the exact same thing. I'd love to know if it was Duff's idea or Food Network's.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:08pm
post #41 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

I think the shop always looks very clean. But I did notice Duff lifted the horns up and put them on his head. I thought about how gross that seemed but then it dawned on me it's not a part that would be eaten as it was made out of wood and fondant.

I thought this too, but then I looked closer and noticed that the horns weren't on his head they were just over his head.

This may have been mentioned already but this hand washing topic came up before and Mary Alice from Charm City cakes actually posted saying that they are constantly washing their hands.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:12pm
post #42 of 53

If you go to CharmCityCakes website and go under "about Duff" the last part of the last sentence says "an all around good guy with the cleanest hands in town." LOL - so yea, he must be a clean hand fanatic!! lol

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:15pm
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaidstains

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocakedecorator

LOL

That was a spoof of Alton's show called Feasting on Asphalt. Hubby and I were cracking up about it because we saw Alton's show. Alton basically did the exact same thing. I'd love to know if it was Duff's idea or Food Network's.

We have done stuff like this for years when we're out jeeping in the winter....put wrapped frozen burritos on our header manifolds...theres all kinds of ways to heat up lunch on your rig in the winter when your up on some trail...thats the first I've seen it done on tv!

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:25pm
post #44 of 53

After reading all your comments I think we all agree that we really love Ace of Cakes as a show and get a lot of inspiration watching it.

I would really love a definitive statement - maybe from the CC monitors - on copyrights for recipes, pictures and logos so we can understand it once-and-for all! Is that possible?

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:34pm
post #45 of 53

[quote="WendogerWe have done stuff like this for years when we're out jeeping in the winter....put wrapped frozen burritos on our header manifolds...theres all kinds of ways to heat up lunch on your rig in the winter when your up on some trail...thats the first I've seen it done on tv![/quote]

What my friend is "jeeping". I can only guess camping in a jeep? A bit crowded , no?

icon_lol.gif

Julia

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:35pm
post #46 of 53

The cake was cool, but all that fondant...and they don't even use marshmellow fondant! LOL! Yuck! Those chinese noodles with all that crisco to make them soft...I was wondering why he didn't just pop the fondant in the microwave for a few secs and then place it thru that claygun....hmmm....Well, I bet Netflix is going to order one now for their company! But Duff will have to drive it there! LOL!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:38pm
post #47 of 53

I can't find when the next airing of the show that I missed will be on. anyone know?
If you go to food network and click Ace of cake, they have all the employees at charm city cakes and you can click each person and it tells you something about them. it was pretty cool.

melody

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:40pm
post #48 of 53

When the first season of AC was airing Mary Alice was on here and several other cake sites checking out the buzz about the show and answering ?? in threads.

She said they do wash their hands constantly, they tried using gloves to work with the fondant but it just didn't work for them. They need the hands on feel. She also said they didn't worry too much about the contact they had with the fondant since they expect people to peel away the fondant and eat the cake underneath. But the hair everywhere is what I haven't figured out. I shed like the devil so my hair gets pulled back and a net to boot.

They film a season over a 4 month period.

And definitivly, you can't use licensed images without permission(licensing agreement) and/or paying for it. Disney and Sesame Street are very aggressive in protecting their brands. There was a big thread a while back about copyright laws and such.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #49 of 53

...LOL...oh my gosh, I laughed so hard when I read that...'jeeping' is four wheeling, out in the woods, in a jeep...go check out my husbands website, www.nwjeepn.com....this is what we do for fun in our spare time.

Justenjoyingit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justenjoyingit Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:06pm
post #50 of 53

Maybe netflix is a sponsor of the show just like a commercial they paid to advertise, just on the cake not in a commercial

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 11:16pm
post #51 of 53

Famous decorators do it all the time! If you look through Duff's pics there's a BRATZ cake. They just made them out of fondant. On the Confetti cakes website she has all kinds of trade marked or copywrited characters. I brought this up a while back and asked how they get away with it. The answer every one seemed to give was "because they are famous."

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:37am
post #52 of 53

Looks to me like loads of people make copyrighted cakes...and get away with it.

Just look through the gallery and see how many 3d characters(even i've done one), sodas, beers, candy bars....

One is not supposed to do them and make a profit from them without WRITTEN PERMISSION from the copyright holder.

The copyright holder can and sometimes do either charge you one set fee for unlimited use(that is if they approve of its' use and the design of that which you wish to use it...surely they wouldn't approve of poor elmo smoking a marlboro)

or charge you for each time you create that design.

Then, there are those who don't want you copying it for any reason...for profit or otherwise.

IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:05am
post #53 of 53

Maybe I might be able to shed alittle light on TV production I worked in along time ago. What you see is not necessarily what is actually happening. It takes sometimes hundreds of hours of filming to get enough for an hour of program. You may see them begin to ice a cake and finish with a mock up, sending the real one out the door at a different time and trust me they do not waste air time with the mundane. You don't see sweeping floors paying bills ordering everything or when they go to the potty.LOL Duff is marketable, he is fun, talented. His staff is wacky and we all enjoy it. That's the point. With all that goes on behind the sceens(make-up, sound checks yada yada) I'm surprised they get anything done. Thats entertainment! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%