Mirror Cupcake Tower Help

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 6 Apr 2015 , 5:03pm by -K8memphis

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 2:01am
post #1 of 3

Have a customer who has made a cupcake tower from candlesticks and mirrors.  She is looking to have a 8 inch decorated cake on top tier and cupcakes on the bottom two tiers.   I had questioned safety.   I know that glass and food is a hazard but can make a beautiful display if done right.  We are going to check for weight and so making sure it is plenty strong.   My question is how heavy would a 8 inch box cake mix cake  frosted with buttercream weigh?  anyone have any idea?

Anyone done this before?

2 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 4:58am
post #2 of 3

I haven't done that before but an 8" cake frosted with buttercream weighs between 1 and 1.4 kg. I have to say that this is with my from scratch recipes. Box mixes are less dense, so it may weigh less. But just to be on the safe side I would go with 1.5kg (3lbs).

Can't really envision the cake, but candles and glass/ mirror doesn't sound to safe for me. Have you done that before? Can you post a picture?

From my previous job I learned better safe than sorry!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 3

i love to make cake stands -- love it -- i was flying high one day at the craft store creatively speaking with would you believe it candlesticks and mirrors -- it was close to the holidays and the choices seemed limitless so much fun -- i was making a family tier cake and it would be holding much more than an 8" cake and after i got it all designed i determined it would not be secure enough -- sigh --

food safety was not as much an issue unless there had been glitter or paint that will fleck off -- but use your best judgement and if you have a doubt don't hesitate to diplomatically ditch it -- hopefully you get to see it way before 'c- day'

i've never weighed my cakes but i would think they might weigh about 4-5# give or take -- but you don't want to cut it close either -- you want secure

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%