Anyone From Kansas Or Oklahoma ?

Business By irislady Updated 25 Nov 2005 , 4:44pm by Phoov

irislady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irislady Posted 21 Sep 2005 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 13

Ladies, the more I read the more I am interested in what the legal aspect of selling cakes from home is in Kansas/Oklahoma. I am in south central KS and operate a home child care in my home. I do NOT have time to make this a daily business but would love to pay for a new cake pan occasionally by selling a cake or two. I actually have two kitchens (one very small) in this house but they are both used... one for day care and the other is my families. I would prefer to do cakes in the evenings and weekends in the main (family) kitchen... away from little fingers.

Are any of you from Kansas? If so does anyone know the regulations or is this another phone call to Topeka to find out?

THANKS
irislady

12 replies
flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 13

you can do a search of members by area.....

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 13

How do you do a search like that?

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 13

Hey Iris.....my Anthony Wilton instructor told me that at this point, there are no regulations in Kansas for home baking. Said that each state adresses this independently....so as of now, we're left to our ouwn good judgment.

Taking a tiered pumpkin cake to Oklahoma tomorrow.....and two little birthday cakes to the nieces....and have sold my first wedding cake for an afternoon wedding on SATURDAY!!!!!!! PRAY!!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 13

i would check with topeka health dept. i live in kansas city kansas, and i have to have a seperate kitchen with a three bay sink, and seperate entrance. not sure if your day care kitchen would work? you ought to check it out though, it would be awsome if it did, you could very easily be legal.
good luck
melody

Phoov Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 13

...wonder if that's a KC regulation rather than state?

ktweety Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktweety Posted 23 Nov 2005 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 13

I live in Southeast Kansas. It is nice to know there are others close by. I have never checked but i will look into it
kris

Phoov Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 1:32am
post #8 of 13

OK...I checked it out. Kansas counties each set their own regulations concerning home businesses of this type. I was mistaken and thought my Wilton instructor meant the entire state. Sorry! So check with your county governing agency. Mine is presently unregulated in this area.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 24 Nov 2005 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 13

I would call Topeka... that number is 785-296-3556. My understanding is that there ARE regulations in out state, that you must be operating your business out of a separate kitchen, separate from your living area and that it needs to be inspected in order for you to get licensed. You also need to be sure that the area you live in is zoned for this type of business.
It's true that you must have a separate entrance, there's a certain type of sink (3 sink unit) you need to have, a second just for handwashing, and a mop sink. The floors must be tiled or linoleum, washable ceiling, painted walls that are also washable. Check it all out before you buy or remodel any part of your home so that you aren't redoing anything.
Don't pass out business cards or advertise if you aren't a licensed baker... the competition that is licensed may report you and get you shut down and/or fined.
I only bake for friends and family for this reason. One day we hope to buy a bigger house with a walkout basement, where I can turn the entry into a little bakery.
Hope this helps.

Phoov Posted 25 Nov 2005 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 13

....gee, I can't wait to find out....

Phoov Posted 25 Nov 2005 , 2:11pm
post #11 of 13

Wendy....I see the problem. You're a KU gradutate. KU graduates must be regulated. icon_smile.gif))))) JOKE. JUST A LITTLE JOKE... lol

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 25 Nov 2005 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 13

Phoov, LOL... let us know what you find out when you call. I haven't made the call yet, just learned what I know from another decorator in my area.

Phoov Posted 25 Nov 2005 , 4:44pm
post #13 of 13

Okiedokie....GET THAT HAWK OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%