Cake Disasters???

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 22 Feb 2015 , 1:58am by jchuck

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 3:39am
post #1 of 21

Hello Bakers,

I'm not even sure if this should be in "Cake Disaster" category, but I know you'll be able to tell lol 

Here you go,

My cakes happen to become pretty hard after people put them in the fridge, Yeah, I know they should, but when I say they become hard, I mean REAL HARD, no moisture, no spongy texture, no nothing that was before! Thus, My question is, are all cakes supposed to do that? or it's just my cakes?? I know this sound kinda silly  :oops:  but, because I don't buy cakes from other people, I can't really tell whether it's only my cakes or every cake. 

If you guys think it's only my cakes, then, what can I possibly be doing wrong??? :cry:

Help please, I'm too confused right now :sad:

20 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 3:45am
post #2 of 21

Are they butter cakes?

Are they still hard after they return to room temperature?

cakelove2105 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 4:02am
post #3 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAtKT 

Are they butter cakes?

Are they still hard after they return to room temperature?

Hi AAtKT, Yes, they have butter. They actually are Dominican Cakes and they call for the same amount for each main ingredient Butter, Flour, and Sugar (e.i. one pound of flour, one pound of butter, one pound of sugar). One of cakes, according to my customer, never came back to normal, not even when he let it at room temperature. The other one, is a chocolate cake (not necessarily Dominican, it was a recipe I found online), it was very moist and spongy when I made it but now is just like a stone. I have a piece of it at home, I might leave it out the fridge to try and see if it ever come back to normal. 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 4:49am
post #4 of 21

Other posts indicate that butter based cakes, after refrigeration, never really "come back" to a just baked state and are often perceived as dry or stale.  This is because butter remains semi-solid at room temp. 

cakelove2105 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 5:05am
post #5 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by maybenot 

Other posts indicate that butter based cakes, after refrigeration, never really "come back" to a just baked state and are often perceived as dry or stale.  This is because butter remains semi-solid at room temp. 

So, I should assume that it is not only my cakes or something I'm doing wrong?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 9:51am
post #6 of 21

ADon't put them in the refrigerator. Baked goods in general do not go in the refrigerator.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 11:02am
post #7 of 21

AI always put my cakes in the fridge, never had a problem. They are made with butter. They are always light, fluffy and moist

cakelove2105 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

I always put my cakes in the fridge, never had a problem. They are made with butter. They are always light, fluffy and moist
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 21

ATo they taste dry after baking and cooling? I mean did you try cut offs? Do you always use the same recipe? Maybe try another vanilla cake recipe. Mine has buttermilk as an ingredient for example... And what foil do you mean? I use cling film and wrap the cake when it's still warm to trap the moisture.

cakelove2105 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 8:10pm
post #10 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by julia1812 

To they taste dry after baking and cooling? I mean did you try cut offs? Do you always use the same recipe?
Maybe try another vanilla cake recipe. Mine has buttermilk as an ingredient for example...
And what foil do you mean?
I use cling film and wrap the cake when it's still warm to trap the moisture.

well, just to make sure we are on the same page; I cover the cakes in foil and put then in the fridge, but this is after the cake is all done (iced, decorated, filled, etc...), what I put in the fridge is the leftovers, same thing with my clients, they save the rest in their fridge.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 9:23pm
post #11 of 21

I have never had my cake go hard like that either. When I cut cake I always cover the cut part of the exposed cake that has no icing with a piece of saran wrap to keep cake fresh once I have cut it. Maybe you need to try a different cake recipe.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 9:50pm
post #12 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by remnant3333 

I have never had my cake go hard like that either. When I cut cake I always cover the cut part of the exposed cake that has no icing with a piece of saran wrap to keep cake fresh once I have cut it. Maybe you need to try a different cake recipe.

@remnant3333 I do the same thing, and always leave it out on the counter at room temperature until it's gone.

cakelove2105 Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 3:42am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by remnant3333 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

@remnant3333 I do the same thing, and always leave it out on the counter at room temperature until it's gone.

so you guys never put your cakes in the fridge?

cakelove2105 Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 3:46am
post #14 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

Don't put them in the refrigerator. Baked goods in general do not go in the refrigerator.

Hi leha_s I thought the same thing, but ya know, we (people) don't like to throw away the rest of the cake after paying for it, and in order for us to keep it "fresh" we dump them in the fridge :oops: I mean, I know things that are in the fridge become hard, but that hard?? mmmmm..... :-(

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 4:40am
post #15 of 21

So does anyone open up their fridge and see their bread, rolls, cookies, pastries, hamburger buns, French rolls, donuts.......... or do they sit out at room temperature as a general rule.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 4:59am
post #16 of 21

AUnless the cake has a perishable filling, there is NO reason to put if in the fridge. Unless you want to ruin it.

cakelove2105 Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 5:05am
post #17 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

So does anyone open up their fridge and see their bread, rolls, cookies, pastries, hamburger buns, French rolls, donuts.......... or do they sit out at room temperature as a general rule.

Thank you! that's what I wonder!

cakelove2105 Posted 20 Feb 2015 , 5:09am
post #18 of 21

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

Unless the cake has a perishable filling, there is NO reason to put if in the fridge. Unless you want to ruin it.

well, it makes a lot of more sense to me now. Thanks.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 21 Feb 2015 , 8:07pm
post #19 of 21

If you find that a number of your customers are refrigerating the cakes and they don't like the way they are after being refrigerated, you may want to try some other recipes.  I suspect there is a cultural difference here. A cake shouldn't be rock hard when it is refrigerated for a day and if it comes to room temp it shouldn't remain rock hard.  If refrigerating is the norm for your customers, work on a recipe that will work better for refrigerating.  That might be better than telling your customers to not refrigerate the cake, if you know they will want to do that with leftovers.  Just another side to think about. 

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 1:03am
post #20 of 21

A

Original message sent by denetteb

If you find that a number of your customers are refrigerating the cakes and they don't like the way they are after being refrigerated, you may want to try some other recipes.  I suspect there is a cultural difference here. A cake shouldn't be rock hard when it is refrigerated for a day and if it comes to room temp it shouldn't remain rock hard.  If refrigerating is the norm for your customers, work on a recipe that will work better for refrigerating.  That might be better than telling your customers to not refrigerate the cake, if you know they will want to do that with leftovers.  Just another side to think about. 

I agree with you. All my cakes have to be kept refrigerated because I use perishable filling. And because of that I don't use recipes with butter in them. There are many wonderful recipes out there but where I am from we don't eat cakes with butter in them. [@]@cakelove2105[/@] try to substitute butter with corn oil in the recipe that you will try.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 1:58am
post #21 of 21

AYour cake sounds very much like my Mom-in-laws Bouka cake. She was Polish....a pound of butter, flour, 12 eggs....etc. She never refrigerated her cake. I never put my cakes in the fridge unless as others have posted, there's perishable filling inside. I always leave my cakes on the kitchen counter covering the exposed portion with plastic wrap. If we're not going to eat all of the cake, I will put a portion of it in the freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%