Black Cupcakes

Decorating By WeezyS Updated 18 Feb 2015 , 1:32pm by ropalma

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 10

I have to make 30 cupcakes for a "Coal Mining Theme" event.  I'd like to make the cupcakes black. I am using black liners and frosting them with white and decorating with black sanding sugar and pieces of black candy coal on top.

Does anyone have advice on how to make black cupcakes?  Is is possible to make a duncan hines dark chocolate fudge mix (my favorite) and add black paste color?  Would you need alot of paste to color them black and would it change the taste of the cupcake?  Thanks for any help.

9 replies
winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 10

AYou could make them black easily enough - but they will stain everyone's mouth black, and that probably won't be appreciated by most people at an event. Go black liners, dark choc cake, and your decos. Much nicer to eat!

WeezyS Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 10

Thank You, they are for young kids at a wrestling tournament.  I'll have to find out if the person who ordered them would mind if they stain their mouth!

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 10

AThe kids would probably love having black teeth, mouths and tongues! But yes, best to check, and ensure any posed group photos are taken before coal cupcake consumption...

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 10

get black cocoa from king arthur flour or somewhere 

WeezyS Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 1:13am
post #6 of 10

My plans have changed since I can't find black cupcake liners anywhere. Does anyone know if Michael's sells them?  Maybe I'll go with silver

cheryl848 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 2:07am
post #8 of 10

Thank You but I need them by this Thursday.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 3:44am
post #9 of 10

Hobby Lobby has black cupcake liners. I didn't see any at the Michael's where I live.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 10

I was at Michael's in my area and they did have Black Liners.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%