Turntable For Cake

Decorating By pj22 Updated 17 Feb 2015 , 2:59pm by johnson6ofus

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 9

Hi!

Was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a turntable for a 3-tier cake? Would appreciate any help! 

I saw one on Ebay but it ships from Hong Kong and would arrive here in March, but I need it in 2 weeks!

Also, does anyone know how much the weight would be of a 3-tier cake (6"/8"/10") Chocolate cake filled with buttercream and some small decorations.

Trying to see what weight would be okay to spin on a turntable. Thank you so much!

8 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 9

AAre you looking for a turn table or a cake stand? Not an expert in tired cakes, but if I have more than one tire, I ice them individually on a turn table first and THEN stack them on a cake stand or board. Just trying to figure out what your plan is...

pj22 Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 9

Sorry...Should've explained it better! Looking for a motorized (electric or battery-operated) cake stand so I can make the cake rotate.

I've seen the Karousel one but it's expensive!!! 

I just found one on Amazon, for displaying model cars, but trying to figure out how many lbs a 6/8/10 cake would be, so I can see if it'll fit on that?

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 9

Model cars are very light weight, no where near the weight of a cake. It's the motor that determines the spinning speed. Just because the stand can support the weight of a cake 45+lbs, doesn't mean the motor can handle turning it.

I found this on another bakery's website about what their cakes weigh: http://www.mayfairbakery.com/products/3-cakes/16-servings-chart I'm not sure if it's average or not, but it's a place to start.

pj22 Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you!!! So based on an estimate, the cake will weigh about 9-10 lbs. Any idea where I could find a rotating stand? 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 9

Anything that will be able to rotate a 3 tier cake (weight!) will be expensive. Some larger art pieces have display turntables, and that may be another source. But I bet it will still be expensive. 

pj22 Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 5:21am
post #8 of 9

omg.. you are amazing!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!! so much!!

johnson6ofus Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 9

Hope it works out for you. Also, did you see that this one rotates very slowly, only 1 RPM (revolution per minute). Just keep that in mind as you select. Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%