Son And Allergies

Baking By jesscakes2012 Updated 10 Feb 2015 , 6:57pm by tdovewings

jesscakes2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesscakes2012 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 5

AI need help! I'm a baker, but I need some advice on what I can make for icing for my son's birthday cake. His birthday is coming up soon and I've been researching substitutions for crisco, but haven't found any that would be suitable. He's allergic to soy/soybean oil/ dairy/ wheat. I've got a recipe for the cake, but can't find a recipe for icing that doesn't include soy/soybean oil (Crisco). Does anyone know of any substitutions for Crisco? Maybe coconut oil, but would that work well with soy/dairy free butter and goat milk? Please help! Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

4 replies
craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 5

I found this using Google: http://www.deliacreates.com/dairy-free-soy-free-buttercream-frosting/

Apparently Earth balance makes a soy-free, vegan (which means dairy free as well, but check the ingredient label). I don't know how well it will turn out, but it's worth a shot! :)

I would NOT use coconut oil, not the same as coconut cream (which tastes fantastic as a dessert itself!)

jesscakes2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesscakes2012 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 4:48pm
post #3 of 5

AThank you very much! He eats that Earth Balance 'butter' and I planned on using it as well. Thanks again! :))

mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 5

I don't know of the availability where you are but I just used this to make buttercream frosting for a soy and egg free family.  I needed to use a little more powdered sugar than with the normal crisco/butter recipe but it tasted good and held up great.  Its for spectrum all vegetable shortening.+

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A40OVQ/?tag=cakecentral-20

I think I made it clicky!!! If not just copy and paste, I ordered mine through Amazon.  Good luck.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 5

We use palm oil or palm shortening, same consistency as crisco, melts at a lower temperature. Downside is it's about 2- 3X the cost of crisco. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%