Serv Safe Certificate? Manager Vs. Food Handler

Business By KsCakes09 Updated 4 Feb 2015 , 10:55pm by jgifford

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 3 Feb 2015 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 3

If you own a bakery do you have to take the managers course/test only or the food handler as well?  Are you able to take the course online or is it beneficial to have an instructor?

2 replies
craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 3

Depends on your local laws. In my area, food businesses (not cfos) need to have one Food Manager there at all times food is being handled/served/etc. For example, at the place I worked the manager had a food safety manager certificate and the rest of us peons had the general food safe card. So check with your state laws on that, but generally yes, there needs to be one Food Manager certified person there while food is being handled. It's a pain since the test here is expensive, you gotta sit through a 4 hour class and then take the test afterwards. And if you don't pass the test, you pay the same $$$ again....


Edited to add: Check with your local restaurants, most likely the manager can point you in the right direction on the online versus the in person class. I did not know you could take it online....

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 4 Feb 2015 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 3

I live in Texas and food businesses have until April to get the Food Manager certifications.  Owners and managers are required to have them and one certified person has to be present at all times.  The only way we can get them is on line, but as I recall they only cost $20 per person.

Quote by @%username% on %date%