Has Anyone Tried Lila Lola's "end All Chocolate Cookie Recipe"?

Baking By CookieNibz Updated 7 Feb 2015 , 8:55pm by CookieNibz

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 13

AI made these last night, in a half batch, as an experiment. I LOVED the flavor! I LOVED how wonderfully they held their shape! My biggest problem was I found the dough very hard to work with. I was experimenting to add a decorated cookie to my x-mas line up, so I can't imagine having to deal with this dough for 100+ cookies.

I used the "immediate use" recipe which requires 1/3 cup more flour.im wondering if this is why I had so many issues. Has anyone else tried this recipe & have any helpful insight on what I may have done wrong?

Here is the recipe http://www.lilaloa.com/2011/03/end-all-for-chocolate-cookies-recipe.html?m=1

12 replies
CookieNibz Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 13

ALook how wonderfully they held their shape! [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3326640/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 13

Lila Loa blog is very interesting, I've made those cookies and they came out very nice.  It's a good recipe. I rolled them the normal 1/4 inch, not 3/16 so they took a bit longer to cook than she recommends.

Royal Icing using the marbled effect

Corn Syrup glace using the quilting method to give definition to the sections.

CookieNibz Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 8:23pm
post #4 of 13

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

Lila Loa blog is very interesting, I've made those cookies and they came out very nice.  It's a good recipe. I rolled them the normal 1/4 inch, not 3/16 so they took a bit longer to cook than she recommends.

[URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3265574/]Royal Icing using the marbled effect [/URL]

[URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3265573/]Corn Syrup glace using the quilting method to give definition to the sections. [/URL]

Thanks for the advice! Your cookies look great!

I really did like them you didn't have problems with the dough being crumbly? Not totally sure what went wrong, maybe because I used flour on countertops. It may have added too much to my cookie. Ill use parchment & was paper next time to roll out. Maybe? Lol

AND OMG how cool is it you can make brownies & pie crust from same recipe, awesome!

MBalaska Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieNibz 

I really did like them you didn't have problems with the dough being crumbly? Not totally sure what went wrong, maybe because I used flour on countertops. It may have added too much to my cookie. Ill use parchment & was paper next time to roll out. ........

Exactly.  Parchment, or wax paper, or even heavy saran wrap.  I always  flatten and spread my cookie doughs by hand before I take the rolling pin to it - just to make it easier to roll.

CookieNibz Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 13

A

Exactly.  Parchment, or wax paper, or even heavy saran wrap.  I always  flatten and spread my cookie doughs by hand before I take the rolling pin to it - just to make it easier to roll.

OK, great, THANKS! I only have one go to cut out cookie recipe. It took me awhile to find a good one. I've heard of that method, of course, but never have actually needed to use it. Thanks for help!

I'm very excited about this "new" recipe, soooooo chocolatey :).

MBalaska Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 13

now take a look at this wonderful gallery of roll out cookies decorated by @GeminiRJ with corn syrup glaze.  Wow!

http://www.cakecentral.com/g/a/69/geminirj-set-cookies/u/50198/flat/1

CookieNibz Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 9:13pm
post #8 of 13

A

now take a look at this wonderful gallery of roll out cookies decorated by @GeminiRJ  with corn syrup glaze.  Wow! [URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/g/a/69/geminirj-set-cookies/u/50198/flat/1]http://www.cakecentral.com/g/a/69/geminirj-set-cookies/u/50198/flat/1[/URL]

HOLY COW! those are awesome. Yours was really great too! I'm so impressed! I'm very partial to snowflake "winter" cookie on there (I'm obsessed with snowflakes & snowmen). Only decorated cookies last year at Xmas, so I'm no where as good as you all! But I really enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing that!

jeepfreak33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeepfreak33 Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 3:40am
post #9 of 13

Yes, I use those and her regular sugar cookie recipe and have no problems with spreading, I love the flavour of both the chocolate and vanilla ones. And I dont even refrigerate the dough before I cut them out. I use them for cookie pops too.

MBalaska Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 3:56am
post #10 of 13

Thanks, the leaves are made with Royal icing, the pumpkins are made with corn syrup glaze, and the snowflakes are made with fondant cut outs (I put them on hot cookies right out of the oven so they'd stick on) then used Royal Icing for the stencil.

but for flavor.....there is just nothing that beats corn syrup glaze. 

CookieNibz Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 1:08pm
post #11 of 13

A

Thanks, the leaves are made with Royal icing, the pumpkins are made with corn syrup glaze, and the snowflakes are made with fondant cut outs (I put them on hot cookies right out of the oven so they'd stick on) then used Royal Icing for the stencil. but for [B]flavor[/B].....there is just nothing that beats corn syrup glaze. 

I have never tried Fondant on cookies. Using itwhile cookie is warm will help it stick, that's great. I have seen cookies with it b4,but thought they had to lightly cover in another icing first. So there is a whole extra step you can skip, THANKS!

AMEN to corn syrup glazes, yum! I also like the shine! Wish you could reach the same detail & puffiness (?) as you can with RI. Maybe I just don't have enough experience.

Thanks for sharing!

LilaLoa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LilaLoa Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 2:22pm
post #12 of 13

The amount of flour you need to add to a recipe can vary based on things like what size of egg you use and how humid/dry your environment is. The dough for this recipe should never be crumbly. If you try again, stop at the amount of flour required if you're not going to use it right away and see how the dough feels.  I mix mine until it just pulls away from the side of the bowl. It should be soft, but not sticky.

CookieNibz Posted 7 Feb 2015 , 8:55pm
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilaLoa 

The amount of flour you need to add to a recipe can vary based on things like what size of egg you use and how humid/dry your environment is. The dough for this recipe should never be crumbly. If you try again, stop at the amount of flour required if you're not going to use it right away and see how the dough feels.  I mix mine until it just pulls away from the side of the bowl. It should be soft, but not sticky.

I will certainly try that too! It had to be the fact that i used the extra flour as well as used flour on my surface.   Thank you!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%