Avantco Mx10 Mixer Question

Business By BeesKnees578 Updated 27 Jun 2015 , 12:03pm by lkern777

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 5:31am
post #1 of 9

I REALLY would like to get a bigger mixer. I'm starting to get busier than I have ever been and am looking for ways to streamline and speed up my baking/icing making.  I currently use a KA Classic and a KA Pro600.  I can get by with those but wonder how the bigger one would help me out in the long run.

Webstaurant has the Avantco MX10 for $629 or something with free shipping...every other place was around $871.

Anyone have one and still think it's worth the investment?  Would you choose another brand if you were to do it again?

And can you add butter and stuff in while it's mixing?  I watched a youtube video and it says that the guard has to be locked in place for it to work...but the gap in the guard looks like it goes under the head of the mixer, not off to the side so that you can add ingredients.

TIA

8 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 9

Geez, looks nice! But it's not for heavy duty use, so it depends upon the density of your doughs and the length of mix times. If you do bread dough or a lot of heavy cookie dough, definitely not. But otherwise, it may work.

For another $200, Webstaurant also has a 20 quart. It's too big for a countertop so it needs a stand; it's great for a larger kitchen. After I sold my shop, my husband bought me a 20 quart Hobart for home. I loved it! Sadly, he kept stubbing his toe on the stand. 

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 29 Jan 2015 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 9

AThanks, Mimi! I would only be using it for cake batters and icing.

I'll sleep on it and see what other reviews come in as well.

I don't know about the 20qt, it may be too big for my space and needs...a 12qt may be ideal.

Lots to think about. Also would like to get a free-standing convection oven because right now I have a single oven. Yikes! Takes me all day just to bake a wedding cake...

lkern777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkern777 Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 1:51am
post #4 of 9

AI have the Advantco 10 qt and it works fine, except you cannot add items while you are mixing. If I could go back and do it again I would buy the 12 Qt mixer. Hobart is too expensive, but the other brand on Webstaurant would work too. I don't remember if you can add stuff while it is mixing though.

I bought the Advantco because the price was so good, but I wish I had paid more for the 12 Qt. The 10 Qt is better than using my 6qt, but it doesn't allow me to do as much at a time as I would like. I had to buy an equipment stand anyway, that was not an issue for me.

I had the opportunity to buy a 12 qt Hobart from a friend for $800, but passed because it was made in the 1940's and it scared me to buy one so old. She uses it all the time, so I know it works. I'm kind of kicking myself now.

lkern777 Posted 1 Feb 2015 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 9

Let me add that you might be able to add liquid while it is running if you can figure out how to pour through the shield, but I have not tried it.

TAPG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TAPG Posted 26 Jun 2015 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 9

Ikern777, I purchased the 20 quart version. Just got it this week but I notice that when I press the off button there is a delayed click in the motor. Does your 10 quart mixer do this? I am wondering if the sound is normal. TIA

lkern777 Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 12:16am
post #7 of 9

Yes, mine has a little click after I push the off button. I think it is normal. I have not had any problems with mine.

TAPG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TAPG Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 2:20am
post #8 of 9

Ikern777 Thank you so much for responding and responding so quickly. I thought something was wrong with my machine.

lkern777 Posted 27 Jun 2015 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 9

You're welcome. Glad I could help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%