Concession Stand

Business By Brandyf817 Updated 9 Feb 2015 , 4:42am by leah_s

Brandyf817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandyf817 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 7:22am
post #1 of 5

ASo I do a lot of festivals and fairs in the area. I sell cupcakes and other baked goods. I usually set up a 10x10 canopy and operate under cottage food. This year I am signing up for larger festivals. For the larger festivals I plan on doing decorated doughnuts. Not your ordinary doughnut. I am going to buy them through wholesale. This saves time and time is money. Also I can't produce enough cupcakes for the larger events. I was thinking about buying a concesion trailer. I found a great deal on one at 1500. It obviously needs work but I find the challenge fun. I would use changeable signs so I can change my products up for the events. I also would be re painting it fun colors. Maybe even polka dots or stripes. I'm not sure yet. Anyways my question to you is, do you see this as a good investment if done right? I wouldn't be prepping any food in the concession trailer. Everything will still be cottage food at the start. I would offer coffee after i make a profit. The amount of festivals I go to and how I would kill for an esspresso drink.

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 5

Are concession sales covered under your cottage food law? If you're buying products for resale, that might be a different permit. It's best to check with your inspector before putting money into equipment.

Brandyf817 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brandyf817 Posted 20 Jan 2015 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 5

AWell the doughnuts are going to be purchased and than decorated at home and re packaged in my packaging. This will allow it to fall under cottage food. I will have to get permits for the coffee. I think it's 175 for the year.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 6 Feb 2015 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 5

What did you decide to do? Coffee sales require more than just a permit. You need inspections, on-site hand wash sinks, a container for waste water, fresh water, etc etc. Not to mention you may need other certification as well. Also, check with the fairs too about the coffee, some limit the types of goods so everyone isn't selling water, coffee, funnel cakes, etc. Coffee sounds really good right now though....

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 4:42am
post #5 of 5

AYou're probably going to need a food truck permit, even though you're a trailer, and possibly a vending permit. Check with your city's licensing Dept.

Quote by @%username% on %date%