Edible Diamonds In Surprise Inside 'piñata' Cake

Decorating By vickymacalla Updated 12 Jan 2015 , 4:01pm by vickymacalla

vickymacalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacalla Posted 11 Jan 2015 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 4

AHi! Sorry if this is the wrong place....but I need some help/advice!!

I want to make one of those cakes which are filled with sweets, I think they are called piñata cakes. However..... Just to be difficult I want to fill it with edible diamonds!

I can't find online or on Pinterest that anyone has done this before...so wondered if anyone else here had done this? (Im sure I can't be the first person to have this idea?!?!?!) I'm wondering whether they will be alright considering I need to make the cake on the Thursday night to be cut on the Friday night? I guess they will lose their shine a bit but I'm worried they will totally dissolve our something?!

Also, if anyone knows roughly how many sweets it takes to fill the cake? As I have to order them online very shortly! Do you think it would be better to purchase a few different sizes? I'm considering adding silver balls as well just for effect....

Basically any advice would be great, I love the idea of it but need some help from some expert cake-makers!!

Thanks in advance, Vicky

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 10:32am
post #2 of 4

i've never made a gem filed pinata -- my only thought is that with the gemstones i have made i'd be worried that they would stick together -- they are so light weight i'm not sure they would fall all lovely sprinkley which clearly would be a fantastic pinata -- if it's for family i'd do it if it's for a client i'd test it first -- falling jewelry pieces might be a thought where the jewels were in settings or in partial settings just so they have some weight but there'd be no eating them either unless you wrap them up -- isomalt gems can be hazardous to your digestive system too if you eat too many --

it's an awesome idea -- i hope someone that has done it will chime in

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 4

I've never made a diamond pinata but I have made a candy pinata cake. The amount of filling is definitely based on the 'hole' you carve yourself from the cake layers.  Are you making the ball pan?  I made mine as a mega sheet cake and absolutely made my candy carve out too big.  It looked like a candy grave!  And it was prob 5 pounds of candy.  Which was too much unless you take into account that it was for my extended family who thought it was the bomb!  So my suggestion is get more than you think you need and mix it up with other items of various sizes like you mentioned.  Remember that the pinata cake spills its goodies at Cut #1  (or most of them) and  the only way you are going to get gems at every slice is when you scoop some off the cake platter while you cut!

But what if you made your cake more like a bundt cake and filled the hole with jewels (then covered up ) closer to delivery time?  The jewels won't spill out when you cut but they will when you pull out the first slice.  Just wonderin'

Please update us !

Good luck

Theresa

vickymacalla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacalla Posted 12 Jan 2015 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the input guys :)

I was going to make a round cake, about 7" diameter, 3 or 4 layers high with the middle layer[s] hollowed out to have the gems in.

I can fill it the night before but unfortunately no earlier as I will be at work....I'm not too worried about getting gems in every slice, it was more the effect of them falling out I was after!!

I think I will try to mix with some other types of sweets then like silver balls and white pearls to try keep the sparkly jewellary theme going!..... 

Slightly side note but the Cake Decorating Company has 'jelly' edible diamonds which are cheaper than their sugar diamonds....has anyone used these jelly style ones?

I will keep you updated on what I decide to do....luckily I don't need to make it for another 2 weeks so maybe someone else has made one and will see this! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%