Going Legal- Need Opinion On Name

Decorating By javajammer Updated 5 Jan 2015 , 4:06pm by julia1812

javajammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
javajammer Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 5:40pm
post #1 of 14

I've been a hobbyist for quite sometime and have made the big decision to go legal. I know a business name is a huge factor and would love any input. I want my name to sound professional and not cutesy. I respect the opinion of fellow cake decorators, since we know how the business goes. Here are a few prospective ideas. I would love any suggestions. I am located in the south.

Artistic Cake Design

Artisan Cake Design

Sweet Cake Design

Melody's Cake Design

13 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 14

I like Artisan better than Artistic for some reason - idk, maybe because Artisan Cake Company is a business that I follow. I like Sweet Cake Design too, but I'm registered as Sweet By Design in my county, so I'm biased to the "Sweet" I think. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. None of them sound cutesy to me.

Have you checked other registered business names in your area? Not just who is online or in the phone book, but actual DBAs/assumed names with your county? In Texas, at least in my county, you can search assumed names on the county website. With so many home bakeries, you may want to double check what you want it available.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 14

The first 3 suggestions seem too generic in my opinion. How about Sweet Melody's Custom Cakes ?! I wish you well  with your business. Associating a color scheme with your business that you'll use on business cards, brochures, and your website is something to consider as well.

javajammer Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 7:59pm
post #4 of 14

Yes, I checked with my county and State and they are all available.

javajammer Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcobbler 

The first 3 suggestions seem too generic in my opinion. How about Sweet Melody's Custom Cakes ?! I wish you well  with your business. Associating a color scheme with your business that you'll use on business cards, brochures, and your website is something to consider as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by melmar02 

I like Artisan better than Artistic for some reason - idk, maybe because Artisan Cake Company is a business that I follow. I like Sweet Cake Design too, but I'm registered as Sweet By Design in my county, so I'm biased to the "Sweet" I think. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. None of them sound cutesy to me.

Have you checked other registered business names in your area? Not just who is online or in the phone book, but actual DBAs/assumed names with your county? In Texas, at least in my county, you can search assumed names on the county website. With so many home bakeries, you may want to double check what you want it available.

Quote:

Yes, I checked with county and state and they are available. I love your business name!

javajammer Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 14

Quote:

Yes, they are all still available. I love your business name!

javajammer Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 8:03pm
post #7 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by madcobbler 

Thanks! I like that one as well. There is quite a bit to do, but I'm ready for it.

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 4 Jan 2015 , 10:32pm
post #8 of 14

ALuke the last three options. Artistic doesn't sound good to me. And like Mad's idea of melody's sweet custom cakes, just a bit long.

beachandsweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachandsweets Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 12:49am
post #9 of 14

APersonally I think using a name like artistic or sweet is very generic and doesnt make you stand out. You need a name people won't forget. Artisan and melody are a bit more creative than the others. It would be even cute if you did Sweet Melody`s cakes

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 3:19am
post #10 of 14

How about Sweet Melody Cakes?

Even if it is already in use, you can alway add the name of your town to change it…My last name is Smith…there are a lot of Cakesmith's out there….so I added of _____(my town)

So you could be Sweet Melody Cakes of Whatevertownyoulivein.

javajammer Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmom 

How about Sweet Melody Cakes?

Even if it is already in use, you can alway add the name of your town to change it…My last name is Smith…there are a lot of Cakesmith's out there….so I added of _____(my town)

So you could be Sweet Melody Cakes of Whatevertownyoulivein.

I really like that name. Thanks!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 14

Amelody's sweet song

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 14

Aand for a tag line 'cakes that make your heart sing' or 'sweets that make your heart sing'

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 5 Jan 2015 , 4:06pm
post #14 of 14

AMakeMyDreamCake by Melody?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%