Three Layer Red Velvet Cake

Baking By vmanbakes Updated 15 Dec 2014 , 7:42pm by -K8memphis

vmanbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmanbakes Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 3

I was wondering if anyone actually has a three layer red velvet cake recipe that really yields three nice size layers. I only have 9x2 round pans. There are a lot of recipes that claim to yield 3 nine inch layers  but but when i read the reviews i almost find some people complaining that the layers are to thin or that there is not enough batter for three layers. I know i could double a recipe but i want a recipe does yields what it said it does without me having to change it. It also seems that most red velvet cake recipes i found are exactly the same if you look at them closely. THe so called cake man raven red velvet cake recipe is the one i am referring to in that it is identical to most of the red velvet cake recipes i have  seen so i don't know who's recipe it really is. Anyway the majority of red velvet cake that i have found basically call for:

2 1/2 cups flour

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups oil there are some that call for a cup of butter instead of oil

2 or 3 eggs

1 cup butter milk

cocoa

red food coloring

vanilla extract

salt 1 teaspoon

vinegar 1 tablespoon 

baking soda or baking powder. There are some recipes that say divide the batter into to 2 8 or 9 inch pans while other recipes including cake man ravens said to divide the batter into 3 pans even though the recipe is exactly the same. Some recipes have more cocoa than others while some have more or less food coloring than the others which is why i didn't put exact. I have tried the cake man raven recipe and made 3 layers and the layers were not that high. So again my question is does anyone have a recipe for a three layer 9x2 round red velvet cake that actually yields 3 layers that are not skimmy?  

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 3

just make more cake batter -- do the math and add another quarter or half of a recipe -- pour the pans as full as you want within reason so they don't bake over and make cupcakes out of the rest

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 3

if you have to half an egg -- beat it and measure two tablespoons for a large egg

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%