Sunny Side Up Gel Food Coloring Is It The Same As Americolor?

Decorating By Cakes By Alie Updated 15 Dec 2014 , 6:48pm by Cakes By Alie

Cakes By Alie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes By Alie Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 1:12am
post #1 of 6

AI bought a couple shades of green of the SSU gel food coloring and it took a lot to reach the desired color. I then used a green of Americolor that I had and it reached the color perfectly! Has anyone else had this issue? Or am I crazy:grin:

5 replies
FioreCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FioreCakes Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 7:36am
post #2 of 6

I was wondering about this because .f you take a color from each of the brands and hold the bottles next to eachother (electric pink for example) the americolor is much darker suggesting it's more concentrated. I hate that Hobby Lobby is taking away all the good stuff. :-( Good thing I'm moving city so I have access to a real cake store now! 

Cakes By Alie Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 6

AWe just moved to a smaller town and hobby lobby is all I have :(

georgiacakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
georgiacakelady Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 4:10pm
post #4 of 6

AIt is not the same at all!! I bought orange and even if I use a teaspoon of coloring on a 2" ball of fondant it is just a light peach color. It is pretty much colored water. I have asked my local party supply store to start carrying the americolor for me. Hobby lobby will eventually lose me as a customer as they have changed everything it was that I bought from them for cake decorating. I use to buy my fondant and gumpaste there,now I don't since they have changed it. I use to buy my cake pop sticks from there and now my 2.5 lb bag of pure white candy melts I buy, I've noticed them changing that out as well. The new stuff just doesnt work as well in my opinion.

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 6

ABeing that I live in rural America, the only store choice I have is Hobby Lobby or Michaels. I have been ordering my supplies online for about a year now. Amazon is good as well as Oasissupply.com.

Cakes By Alie Posted 15 Dec 2014 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 6

AGlad it's not just me! Amazon here I come!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%