Im Soooo Confused!!!!

Business By slimkim Updated 20 Nov 2014 , 7:15pm by dkltll

slimkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slimkim Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 5

Please I need advice on this Cottage Food Law. I want to start selling my cakes and cookies from home and I am not sure how to start. I live in Florida and I know its legal here. I just dont know if I need to call and get permission first or just start baking away. Any advice on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!! :smile::smile:

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 5

you need to google your county and city and see what you can find -- call the local health authorities and ask -- but you might have to satisfy other local ordinances and hoa requirments etc. -- sometimes it's real easy and sometimes it's more involved but you have to get your particular local information --


like for me it's legal in tn but not legal in my city -- banana bread at the farmer's market maybe custom cakes no way -- so it's different everywhere -- if you can find a buddy in your area and exact circumstances you can listen to what they say otherwise start looking & calling for best results

mellee2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee2012 Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 5

Here is a starting place, I am in Florida too.


I think I managed to make it clickable, if not copy and paste.

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 5

Yep, call your local health dept and they will help you - they really aren't the bad guys people make them out to be.  Even if your state allows it, your city or county may not.  Best of luck to you!

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 20 Nov 2014 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 5

mellee gave you a great link. I have sold cakes in my county. I was told that licenses are subject to each county and city. I live in an unincorporated part of my county so I do not need a license; however, if I sell in a different part I might (there are about 6 cities in our county). Venues also may require that you have a license in order to deliver or serve there. In Bay County you are not required to do anything special. I registered my ficticious (sp?) name with SunBiz and as long as I label correctly and follow the guidelines you will be okay. Once you read all info on the site above call your local health department, dept of revenue and the department of business and professional for more answers. You do not have to charge sales tax but will be required to pay income tax on what you sell. Good Luck, it is very daunting at first when you are gathering info but once you get into it it all starts to make sense and fall into place.  HTH


PS cupadee is right, each county & city are different and may not allow it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%