Dessert Table - How Long In Advance Can I Start?

Decorating By Katskakes Updated 6 Jan 2015 , 10:33am by Fahrenheit

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 10:02pm
post #1 of 3

Need to do lots of treats for a Sweet 16, how fast in advance can i start?
I'm making:

cakepops

rice krispy treats dipped in chocolate

chocolate covered oreos

cupcakes

chocolate covered pretzels

maybe macaroons

cookies deco w/fondant

chocolate covered marshmallows

and Candy apples

Thanks in advance for the help!

2 replies
AileenGP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AileenGP Posted 16 Nov 2014 , 5:14am
post #2 of 3

Hi Katskakes!

When I have dessert tables (especially if it's my daughters' parties where I have a billion and a half things to do), this is what I do: (answers in bold)

I'm making:

cakepops - bake cakes (if not using cake scraps), roll the centers and freeze up to 2 weeks before. Allow to thaw before dipping to avoid cracking. (I usually dip 2 days ahead)

rice krispy treats dipped in chocolate - I usually make this 3-4 days ahead (if RKT are homemade) and keep in airtight container with wax paper in between layers. (or place in cake box and wrap entire box in plastic wrap). 

chocolate covered oreos - 3-4 days ahead and keep in box

cupcakes Bake early in week and freeze - ice day before - if any fondant decorations - do as far ahead as you like and store them in a box when dried to keep dust off.

chocolate covered pretzels - 3-4 days ahead

maybe macaroons - macaroons (coconut) or macarons (french cookie)? Either one can be made ahead and frozen (if it's macarons, fill before freezing unless it's jam, in that case freeze the shells and fill with jam the day before to allow maturation). If you haven't made them before, I suggest trying a test batch ahead of time before committing to them - they're finicky little suckers.

cookies deco w/fondant - don't know what recipe you use, but the recipe I use (NFSC) freezes well. I bake ahead and freeze the undecorated cookies. Then decorate 3 days ahead and keep in airtight container. 

chocolate covered marshmallows - Day before if you can, 2 days at the most. Never tried them earlier than this.

and Candy apples - sorry, can't help you on this one - I don't know how to make them =).

HTH and Good luck!! 

I tend to go crosseyed if I dip too many chocolate things in one day.... so I try to spread it out, but group the desserts together that will be dipped in the same color...

Fahrenheit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fahrenheit Posted 6 Jan 2015 , 10:33am
post #3 of 3

AGood advice. Thank you for this post. Essentially, most of the desserts can be made 3-4 days ahead of time if kept in an air tight container, except marshmallow pops

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%