Fondant Tearing

Decorating By Immelda Updated 14 Nov 2014 , 9:06am by Immelda

Immelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Immelda Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 6:39am
post #1 of 3

Quick question please

I am new to using fondant and every time I cover my cake (lets say round) with fondant it always tears a bit around the edge of the cake (the top circle). Why is this?

Could it be my fondant is too thinly rolled or maybe to dry.

Would appreciate your help

thanks

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 13 Nov 2014 , 2:36pm
post #2 of 3

It is probably too dry, yes. How thin was it, just out of interest? It might help since you are beginning to use it a tad thicker, then progressively work with thinner fondant as you get more experience. Was it tiny cracks, or did you get big tears in it? If big tears, you need to ensure you stick the fondant properly around the top edge as soon as you can after adhering the very top of the cake. When the top 1/2" or so is well stuck, you can start working down the sides. Otherwise the weight of the dangling fondant will cause unstuck fondant to rip. Could also be you had a huge circle of fondant and the extra weight of unwanted fondant will also likely cause the tears and rips. 

Immelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Immelda Posted 14 Nov 2014 , 9:06am
post #3 of 3

Thnks Dayti.

I think I had a combination of all the things you mentioned wrong. i.e . maybe too thin and also too big a piece for the cake and it got too heavy. The tears was small but a lot of them.

thanks a lot for your response

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%