Any Suggestion For An Alternative To A Pricey Fondant Sheeter?

Decorating By Debslynn Updated 3 Nov 2014 , 8:50pm by mattyeatscakes

Debslynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debslynn Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 12

Just wondering if any of you have found an alternative to the $2000. sheeters that I can only dream about?  I'd love something least to help with some of the smaller fondant pieces (maybe 8" wide)  and decorations.  I've seen that some use pasta or clay rollers.  Have you found something that you love? 

Thanks!!!

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 12

I have a hand crank pasta roller for small stuff and ribbons.  Other than that, good rolling pin.

Debslynn Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for your input, Leah.  What type of fondant do you find works best with the pasta roller?

I am thinking of getting the Cuisinart attachment pasta roller, unless I hear of a sheeter that is low priced!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 12

there's an 8" or 10" wide pasta roller on amazon.com.

Debslynn Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 8:25pm
post #5 of 12

MBalaska, I looked at Amazon and don't see a 10" wide one... Do you know who the manufacturer is?  Thanks!

Stephanieamr1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephanieamr1 Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 12

AI found one at bed bath and beyond, I think it was an 8" for $34.99.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

I have a hand crank pasta roller for small stuff and ribbons.  Other than that, good rolling pin.

That's what I have too but I'd love a proper sheeter (I have a weak left wrist), they're so expensive though.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Nov 2014 , 10:06pm
post #8 of 12

For smaller pieces, a motorized pasta roller is good. For larger pieces to cover cakes, get a good, solid, heavy rolling pin made from a solid piece of wood (no handles or ball bearings) and a stepstool to stand on while you roll. If you're short or average height the counters are probably a little too high to give you good leverage, but with one of those little plastic kitchen stepstools you can put more of your upper body weight onto the fondant and it saves your back and wrists when you roll it out on the counter.

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 3:10am
post #10 of 12

I have a motorised Marcato pasta machine.  I love it.  Unfortunately it is only 6 inches wide, but that is life.  Used to use a hand crank one but this leaves it for dead.

Debslynn Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 5:41pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks  for all the ideas, ladies!  Much appreciated. I'll be doing a little research and will let you know what I end up getting!

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 3 Nov 2014 , 8:50pm
post #12 of 12

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

For smaller pieces, a motorized pasta roller is good. For larger pieces to cover cakes, get a good, solid, heavy rolling pin made from a solid piece of wood (no handles or ball bearings) and a stepstool to stand on while you roll. If you're short or average height the counters are probably a little too high to give you good leverage, but with one of those little plastic kitchen stepstools you can put more of your upper body weight onto the fondant and it saves your back and wrists when you roll it out on the counter.

See this is why i love CC! This tip is soooo obvious now, but i never thought to do this! Being a short girl with a tall table (which i hate), fondant rolling hurts my wrist! Doh! Thanks for this possibly wrist saving tip! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%