Chocolate Transfer Warped, Help!

Decorating By tmelrose Updated 14 Oct 2014 , 9:50pm by Gingerlocks

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 10

I made a chocolate transfer for the first time last night.  I had my entire design done, popped it in the fridge for about 5 minutes per instructions I've read online, to harden before putting on my back second coat and when I pulled it out parts of the edges (ears and tails in my case) had raised or warped up.  I was hoping as it came to room temp it would lay down flat again but so far it hasn't.  Any suggestions or am I doomed that it will not lay flat and potentially break?  TIA

9 replies
Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 10

Could you post a picture, it's something I think you'd have to see before any suggestions can be made. It might be salvageable depending on how bad the "warping" is..

tmelrose Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 10

I certainly can when I get home later this afternoon.  For now just to explain better, the middle of the chocolate image is laying flat but an ear and a foot on the image are raised up (no longer laying flat).  I just want it all to be flat again!

forjenns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forjenns Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 10

I haven't done a chocolate transfer but I had the same issue with my fondant figures.

I realized that the issue was air flow on both sides of the image.  I started using a foam mat (purchased from the fabric store) and parchment paper (it has better airflow then wax paper) has stopped the curling.

I'm not sure if this helps for this scenario but maybe next time?

Goodluck!

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 10

AIt might depend on the chocolate you've used. I mostly work with tempered couverture chocolate, which you need to sandwich between trays as it crystallises/sets up to avoid warping.

If you've used compound eg candy melts or any other "chocolate" you don't have to temper to get a set, you might be able to fix it by waving a hair dryer over the transfer, gently, from a distance and working closer until you see the parts of the transfer that are warped soften and lay down flat. Then let it set, maybe with a sheet of baking paper or acetate and then another tray on top.

Hopefully that should help.

tmelrose Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 10

tmelrose Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 10

I used candy melts.  I might try the hair dryer method.  Just don't want to redo it!  Thanks

tmelrose Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 10

I used candy melts.  I might try the hair dryer method.  Just don't want to redo it!  Thanks

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 10

I was going to suggest putting it on a heating pad or something like that, but I like the hair dryer method better because it's more localized.

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 9:50pm
post #10 of 10

Yes, I agree with the above try a hair dryer (on low), it's not as bad as I had imagined. It looks fixable to me with the hair dryer, and then let it re dry/harden at room temp rather than the fridge. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%