Using Fondant Cupcake Toppers Against Buttercream Frosting

Baking By jgdorothy Updated 31 Oct 2014 , 2:13pm by modthyrth

jgdorothy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgdorothy Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 13

Good afternoon, Cupcake lovers!  I have a question. I want to make cute bumble bees to put on cupcakes for a meeting. However, anytime I have placed fondant in buttercream, it gets rubbery and "wilts". How do you put a cute topper like this one shown on Craftsy - http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2014/03/how-to-make-a-fondant-bumble-bee/ - without the flat piece getting soft.

Thank you in advance,

JGDorothy

12 replies
joanna91257 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joanna91257 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 13

I would do a 50/50 fondant, gumpaste mix for the flat piece and then place it on as late as possible. Should stay solid for you, just make sure you make that piece ahead of time so it has plenty of time to dry completely.

jgdorothy Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you for the quick response. Great idea! I will use your suggestion.

Thanks again!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 13

AI always make my toppers days ahead and never had an issue. Just recently I immerged an entire piece into the BC completely (as structure for a wave) and it was hard even hours later...

jgdorothy Posted 14 Oct 2014 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 13

AThank you for your reply. I think I'm getting to fast on the draw with my embellishments. I need to plan a bit better and get my fondant add-ons done ahead of time to allow for the crucial drying stage.

Thanks again!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 6:12am
post #6 of 13

Another option is to use modeling chocolate and you can make as far ahead or as close to delivery as you like.  It would be wilty only if it was really hot.

jgdorothy Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 1:58pm
post #7 of 13

AThanks so much for that idea! Never thought to use modeling chocolate!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgdorothy 

Thank you for your reply. I think I'm getting to fast on the draw with my embellishments. I need to plan a bit better and get my fondant add-ons done ahead of time to allow for the crucial drying stage.

Thanks again!

All of the other advice is correct.  It sounds as though you may be using 100% fondant (which will remain soft), instead of a fondant/gum paste mixture.  You can make this mixture with pre-made fondant and pre-made gum paste, or you can purchase some tylose powder and mix with the fondant. 

Tylose can be used with fondant to make a really quick transition to gumpaste. Add 1-2 teaspoons of Tylose powder to 1 pound of fondant. Dry humidity less Tylose - High humidity more Tylose. Knead it in and let it rest overnight before using for best results.http://www.globalsugarart.com/tylose-powder-by-cai-p-17057.html

jgdorothy Posted 17 Oct 2014 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 13

AYou are correct. I was using 100% fondant. Thanks for the Tylose link!

kbaile36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbaile36 Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 1:36pm
post #10 of 13

AI always use either 50/50 fondant and gumpaste or I use all gumpaste but never all fondant. I use fondx fondant and it is VERY soft and not great for cut outs, decorations and things that need to dry super hard. Also make your decorations days ahead and you won't have a problem with them wilting. Hope this helps :)

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 2:16pm
post #11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgdorothy 

You are correct. I was using 100% fondant. Thanks for the Tylose link!

You're welcome!  Since I hobby bake and it may be months between cakes, I prefer to use Tylose powder vs. pre-packaged gum paste.  The powder will keep for a long time, but once you open a package of gum paste, it is very hard to re-use later.  (Get it???  Very hard...?  OK... it's a dumb cake decorator joke.  Old gum paste turns into prehistoric fossilized rocks.)

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 18 Oct 2014 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 13

I want my cupcake toppers to taste as good as they look, so I very rarely use any gumpaste or tylose if I can help it.  You can use 100% fondant (even soft mmf, which is what I use) if you follow these suggestions.

1.  Make them ahead and let them air dry for at least a few days

2.  Don't put the toppers on the cupcakes until the last minute

3.  Don't keep the cupcake toppers in an air tight container & don't keep the cupcakes with the toppers on in an air tight container

4.  Don't put the cupcakes with the toppers in the refrigerator.

These were all made with 100% marshmallow fondant just done ahead & allowed to dry.

Hope this helps!

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 31 Oct 2014 , 2:13pm
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apti 

You're welcome!  Since I hobby bake and it may be months between cakes, I prefer to use Tylose powder vs. pre-packaged gum paste.  The powder will keep for a long time, but once you open a package of gum paste, it is very hard to re-use later.  (Get it???  Very hard...?  OK... it's a dumb cake decorator joke.  Old gum paste turns into prehistoric fossilized rocks.)

Did you know that gum paste freezes gorgeously?  I love the Satin Ice brand, but I never go through a whole tub at once.  I just wrap up the leftover gum paste in plastic, put it back in the plastic bag it came in, back in the tub it came in, and straight into the freezer.  It takes an hour or so to defrost, but it's absolutely as good as new when you do.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%