Swiss Meringue Buttercream

Decorating By Aish90 Updated 18 Dec 2014 , 7:54pm by MBalaska

Aish90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aish90 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:32am
post #1 of 19

AI was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to make swiss meringue buttercream sweeter after making it? I just made a lot of it but it is very bland... :(

18 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:39am
post #2 of 19

Ai would add vanilla to bring out the flavor

Aish90 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:42am
post #3 of 19

AI tried that....and I can taste the vanilla but it is still not sweet enough...

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:46am
post #4 of 19

Well that's a new one, never heard that of that problem before. :D Personally, I add a full cup more than is called for when I make mine. I've adapted this recipe to fit my needs, been using it for years now. I generally make a quadruple batch, using 21 eggs, 5 cups of sugar, and twelve sticks of butter.

http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/the-well-dressed-cake-swiss-meringue-buttercream-with-variations

Aish90 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:52am
post #5 of 19

AThank you. I will definitely try your recipe next rime :( but for now.....I don't know how to fix ir rhis tub I made... if I add powdered sugar will that change the consistency?

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 12:55am
post #6 of 19

Yea, I've adapted my recipe of choice to use a good 50% more sugar and the end result is still super silky SMBC but with just enough sweetness for my taste.

I have also heard of people dosing the fully finished SMBC with some powdered sugar to create a hybrid SM/ABC.  I did this once and found that the amount I used didn't affect the mouth feel of my SMBC at all, so I guess it might be a valid alternative.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:25am
post #7 of 19

@AZCouture, how big is your mixer?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 6:59am
post #8 of 19

New one on me too, I use a shed load of vanilla and its sweet enough for me. Tastes like vanilla ice cream, I use sweet appolitas recipe on her blog. 

anisha903 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anisha903 Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 11:16am
post #9 of 19

Hi,

I had the same problem and sweetend mine with icing sugar and it worked fine.

Sorry for gatecrashing your thread. But l have leftover swiss meringue buttercream and french buttercream (to use up the yolks) and wonder if they can be mixed together to fill another cake?

Anisha

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 1:15pm
post #10 of 19

A quick fix would be to mix in equal parts (or to taste) of ABC. It would be sweeter, but still creamier and less sweet than if straight up.    I love SMBC and use it almost exclusively.  Every once in a while though, I want something a little sweeter, especially for kids,  and found this recipe on CC.  This is halfway between SMBC and ABC and is what I use when a sweeter BC is called for.  I especially like it with chopped oreos for a cookies 'n cream filling.  Mixing SMBC and ABC together gets you about the same thing too.   HTH.   

http://www.cakecentral.com/a/fluffy-american-buttercream

mattyeatscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mattyeatscakes Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 4:11pm
post #11 of 19

A

Original message sent by yortma

A quick fix would be to mix in equal parts (or to taste) of ABC. It would be sweeter, but still creamier and less sweet than if straight up.    I love SMBC and use it almost exclusively.  Every once in a while though, I want something a little sweeter, especially for kids,  and found this recipe on CC.  This is halfway between SMBC and ABC and is what I use when a sweeter BC is called for.  I especially like it with chopped oreos for a cookies 'n cream filling.  Mixing SMBC and ABC together gets you about the same thing too.   HTH.   

[URL=http://www.cakecentral.com/a/fluffy-american-buttercream]http://www.cakecentral.com/a/fluffy-american-buttercream[/URL]

Hi! So when you mix SMBC and ABC it does not deflate or currdle the SMBC?! Got to try that :) yes, because sometimes it's nice to get that happy medium of between not too sweet and too sweet :)

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 19

AOnly tangentially related: is SMBC firm enough to use as a frosting dam between layers?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Oct 2014 , 8:02pm
post #13 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cevamal 

Only tangentially related: is SMBC firm enough to use as a frosting dam between layers?

I think that I'd sift in a touch of powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit first.  Just to the bit that you're going to use for the dam.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 12:46am
post #14 of 19

I have never had any trouble mixing smbc to ABC - I add the ABC gradually to the smbc.  I use smbc as a dam all the time. Once in a while if the filling seems a extra squishy, i use ABC for the dam, and smbc as usual for the rest.  

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 1:38am
post #15 of 19

ASix qt. It puffs all the way up and you need the shield.

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 2:45am
post #16 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Six qt. It puffs all the way up and you need the shield.

Ok, my KA is 6qt. too. Thanks

Cevamal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cevamal Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 5:16pm
post #17 of 19

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

I think that I'd sift in a touch of powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit first.  Just to the bit that you're going to use for the dam.

Thanks!

Aish90 Posted 9 Oct 2014 , 6:50pm
post #18 of 19

AThank you everyone :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 18 Dec 2014 , 7:54pm
post #19 of 19

I'm absolutely positively convinced that the Big Secret to making Swiss Meringue Buttercream is to first beat your egg-sugar meringue mixture to FIRM PEAKS.

I've never had a single problem with it since I started putting my focus on achieving stiff firm peaks at the beginning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%