Need A Recipe!

Baking By KateandShiloh Updated 3 Oct 2014 , 4:13pm by -K8memphis

KateandShiloh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateandShiloh Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 12:59am
post #1 of 8

Hey everyone!

I'm in need of a normal vanilla cake recipe, but there is a catch.

I'm creating a gender reveal cake for my stepsister and her husband. After several complications, they are finally pregnant *YAAY* and are planning a family dinner in which we reveal the gender of the little growing specimen. Problem is, she was just diagnosed at 16 weeks with gestational diabetes. I thought, no problem I can find a recipe and use Splenda instead of sugar. But her doctor told her not to eat something that is in the Splenda, but her dietitian said it would be fine. 

She's been pretty bummed but trying not to stress about the health of the little peanut growing so I really want to be able to make her a cake she could have a small piece of that wont hurt her or the squid. I've found the perfect design and already ordered the tools to make the baby shoes out of fondant. She was really looking forward to the cake so I really want to do it. Just one thing to go right for her for the little one. 

Any recipe or advice would be more than welcome! 

7 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 1:16am
post #2 of 8

Any type of carbohydrate must be watched when diabetes is concerned... not just sugars... 

At the hospitals, they serve Angel Food Cake to diabetics... it is low in carbohydrates in general compared to other types of cakes... You could try that...

Inga1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Inga1 Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 3:35am
post #3 of 8

I bake with Stevia. My daughter is hypoglycemic plus has all kinds of gluten and food allergies. I buy it at Walmart. Comes in a bag made by the people of Sugar in the raw. It is all natural

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 8

Ahttp://www.gluten-free-around-the-world.com/almond-cake-recipe.html I'd suggest lightly sweetened whipped cream for icing, but that'd wreck havoc on your decorating ideas, I think. Or make your usual recipe decorated to the hilt, and the mom to be can have a whisper of a sliver, or just a bite. If this was my family, I would do both............extra cake so be it.

KateandShiloh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateandShiloh Posted 2 Oct 2014 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks guys! 

I thought about doing two separate cakes actually. One a normal vanilla and one an angle food cake that Steph could have. I'll check into the Stevia as well! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 12:45am
post #6 of 8

i am a die hard junk food junkie --i have the cellulite to prove it --  the doctor said not to give mom any sugar and i brought us each a doughnut and didn't look back -- but it was just me & her not a little squidlette in the picture --

i would make some other concoction that you could color -- like blue lasagna or something -- or just stick a blue sock in the lasagna or something --i would not tempt her -- i would not let her eat anything sweet -- just say no --

i love to make food for celebrations -- but nothing sweet for this one -- what about blue bacon, pink lettuce, blue or pink apple slices, blue or pink bread, blue or pink hominy, blue or pink cucumbers, umm, blue or pink tuna fish! pink salmon, blueberries -- something like that --

best to you -- be a good auntie/uncle -- make a great cake for afterwards!!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 1:45am
post #7 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateandShiloh 

You know that you can bring Cream cheese to room temperature, whip it up and add some food colorings to it.  maybe a touch of water to thin it if needed.  Then pipe it on vegetables and make it decorative. 

Celery, carrot flat cuts, zucchini slices, cucumber.  You could do lots of pretty piping in pretty colors and have something attractive and sugar free.  Just a thought.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2014 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateandShiloh 

You know that you can bring Cream cheese to room temperature, whip it up and add some food colorings to it.  maybe a touch of water to thin it if needed.  Then pipe it on vegetables and make it decorative. 

Celery, carrot flat cuts, zucchini slices, cucumber.  You could do lots of pretty piping in pretty colors and have something attractive and sugar free.  Just a thought.

CREAM CHEESE for the win!!!

*=D> applausemultiplied kudos to MB of the shiny bright state of alaska -- brilliant work my friend --

and you could still do the reveal that way -- just pipe the right color on some endive or celery or anything then pipe over that with white -- yes! love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%