How Do I Make Cake Lace Butterflies Rigid?

Decorating By joolee Updated 27 Jan 2015 , 10:37pm by nannycook121

joolee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joolee Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 19

I didnt realise you had to mix two different Cake lace mixes to be able to make the butterflies keep in shape and have only used white, I have re baked in the oven , they come out rigid but after a while  they just keep flopping is there any way I can harden them up without having to start over?

18 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 19

I haven't tried Cake Lace I'm afraid (tried Sugarveil once when it first came out...let's just say my lack of patience and wanting-things-to-turn-out-right-the-first-time gets the better of me!). I wonder if you can put them over a piece of folded card or something else that will give you the folded angle you are looking for, and pipe some royal icing or melted white chocolate on the back of them? Wait for it to dry and they should, maybe, not flop back open again. I don't know what mat you are using to make them but if it's really intricate you will be able to see your RI if you don't do it quite finely. Maybe worth a try before ditching the lot and making more??

joolee Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 19

Thanks for your reply Dayti - I find the Lace easy, it comes out great but I guess you really need to mix the two types to get it to dry in a rigid shape . I've now tried everything  and have decided to dump them ! Fed up with them now haha. I've kept the pretty flat ones and used them around the sides and dug out my fondant cutters and did it the old fashioned way :0) you should try the cake lace, its really easy , the mats are quite expensive , but it does look nice.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 19

The problem is that where I live it's soooo dry, the Sugarveil just became brittle, could do nothing with it. I still have loads left. So I'm a bit wary of trying anything else really, and Cake Lace was formulated in the UK which is much more humid than here. Maybe one day. Good luck on your second round of butterflies!

joolee Posted 12 Sep 2014 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks Dayti. Nice talking to you x

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Sep 2014 , 2:55am
post #6 of 19

I'm fixing to make the silver butterflies soon for my daughters anniversary, I have watched Claire Bowman videos over and over. So I am ready! Ha! Yes, after I make the silver, I will have to make white cake lace and the pearl cake lace. and mix these as she says. and then put that on the dried silver and rebake  again.Then you lay them over foil former and back again .  She says that is the same way you do the white ones. Use white first, bake. cool. mix the white and the pearl as her instructions on youtube . rebake ,etc. you then put them over something after they cool to form them, she use foil and then you bake them again, and then they are ready to put on cake, etc. that extra step is to make them rigid. Wish me luck.

Bonne Bouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonne Bouche Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 4:15am
post #7 of 19

Well you are supposed to used both liquids, but that won't effect the rigid issue.  Even if you mixed it right, the butterflies do not stay rigid, and in fact, unless you are attaching the lace bow to the side of the cake, that collapses too.  Very disappointing.  

Bonne Bouche Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 4:20am
post #8 of 19

I really need this information and your instructions are confusing to me.  Please bear with me.  So, let me repeat what I think you are saying- mix and mould them, bake as directions say.  Cool them, take them out and color them.  Form them around something and bake them again.  Take them out to cool still on the form.  Is that right?  Because I tried re-baking them on a form and cooling them on the form and after a little bit of time it (a bow) collapsed again.  I feel really aggravated that I spent this much money on these silicone moulds and the product is not performing as expected. 

nannycook121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook121 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 6:55am
post #9 of 19

ABonne, I tried the lace butterflies and I didn't have any luck either, did it exactly as she says, they were fine at first but then went floppy. I even asked her at the NEC Cake International last year, she said it was something to do with the moisture in my kitchen.

Shame really as it's very expensive stuff.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 19

What if you roll out a thin piece of gumpaste to the outer shape of the wings in a contrasting color and then attach the lace to the gumpaste?  Like an orange wing with black Cake Lace to make a monarch butterfly.  I usually do butterflies in royal icing and have no experience with Cake Lace, only sugarveil.

nannycook121 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 1:58pm
post #11 of 19

AYes that's a good idea, but really you shouldn't have to do that, the stuff is expensive and you have to buy the two tubs, I watched her tutorials and there's nothing I do different to her.

Bonne Bouche Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 6:39pm
post #12 of 19

A

Original message sent by nannycook121

Yes that's a good idea, but really you shouldn't have to do that, the stuff is expensive and you have to buy the two tubs, I watched her tutorials and there's nothing I do different to her.

Bonne Bouche Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 6:42pm
post #13 of 19

AI totally agree. Didn't she try this before she sold it. It gets rigid and crumbles in dry climates and stays soft and collapses in humid conditions apparently. So what is the perfect humidity and where do I move to find that?

nannycook121 Posted 25 Jan 2015 , 7:13pm
post #14 of 19

AWhat she said was, to make sure I had nothing on the cooker while I was making it, why she thought I would have is beyond me. She even said to put half the amount of the liquid ( the liquid it comes with) tried up it, that didn't work either.

Bonne Bouche Posted 27 Jan 2015 , 9:53pm
post #15 of 19

I didn't realize you had to use the Pearlized and Part A and Part B to make things stay rigid either.  I FB Clair and here is her video link explaining it.

https://l.facebook.com/l/tAQHFUsx6AQG6PgMfKAIQRy0MJr5psRY0sFEvZs3ua3HAag/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQ5TtwKtxaKU

nannycook121 Posted 27 Jan 2015 , 10:08pm
post #16 of 19

AThe way she told me was to do it firstly as normal, then mix the pearlised one with some of the normal mix, put it back in, then put them over the foil and put them back in to dry, they looked fine when they came out, but flopped soon after.

Bonne Bouche Posted 27 Jan 2015 , 10:25pm
post #17 of 19

Hmmm.  The video does just the opposite.  It uses the pearlized first, bake, cool, then cover with the Part A/B mixture, bake.  Form them over foil, bake again for 20 minutes.  So, the question I have-- hope you can help-- what is the pearlized actually?  I went online to find it and I see something called premixed confectionary lace by Clair Bowman that comes in white, silver, and gold.  Is that the pearlized she's talking about, or is that just a premixed part A/B?  I am so confused by these products that are labeled one thing and called something else.

Can you clear that up for me?

Regards

Bonne Bouche Posted 27 Jan 2015 , 10:27pm
post #18 of 19

Also, do you only use the pearlized all the time with the part A/B or do you use the part A/B alone when you are doing a lace that can lay flat on the cake?  I tell ya-- so confusing.

nannycook121 Posted 27 Jan 2015 , 10:37pm
post #19 of 19

AOh no I can't remember, it was awhile since I made them and haven't done it since.

But I did watch her tutorial first and i'm sure thats how she did it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%