Fondant Roller? Attachments To Mixers?

Decorating By mmhassa2 Updated 7 Sep 2014 , 1:31am by kpny

mmhassa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmhassa2 Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 6

It seems like this is the easiest way to roll out fondant but looking online it doesnt look like have a very large width option.  Are these attachments/rollers only good for 8" or smaller cakes? 

Basically looking for a pasta roller OR an attachment I can use with my cuisinart mixer (I dont see any for my brand, would a kitchenaid one work?) that I can use to roll out fondant to cover cakes upto 12" if possible. Looking to stay under $75.

5 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 6:02pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhassa2 

It seems like this is the easiest way to roll out fondant but looking online it doesnt look like have a very large width option.  Are these attachments/rollers only good for 8" or smaller cakes? 

Basically looking for a pasta roller OR an attachment I can use with my cuisinart mixer (I dont see any for my brand, would a kitchenaid one work?) that I can use to roll out fondant to cover cakes upto 12" if possible. Looking to stay under $75.

Gosh mmhassa2   You've found a pasta roller  that will roll out fondant to cover an 8" cake.  Where did you find it.  My KA pasta roller is only 5 1/2" wide inside.

What you're looking for is a fondant or dough sheeter.  I remember working at a pizza restaurant in my youth, and how quick and easy it was to rollout pizza rounds.  I'd love to have that puppy in my house now.

They start in the thousands of dollar$........

kpny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpny Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 6

MB - you mentioned a dough sheeter - so I got curious.   Found one on amazon - 16 inch - for $449.  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HP924EY/?tag=cakecentral-20

Definitely better than starting in the thousands & considering the pasta attachment for KA is $200 - this seamed reasonable.  I have no idea of the quality - just did a little poking around at what a dough sheeter was & why they are so much money , found this, so thought I'd mention it.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 6

Akpny -- it's manual -- you crank it through -- better than nothing though if you can get it set up right -- where there's tabletops the right height to send it off and catch it -- still a lot of arm and hand work --

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Sep 2014 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 6

That would take some muscle, IDK.  There's also a 10" dough sheeter - hand crank on there.

kpny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpny Posted 7 Sep 2014 , 1:31am
post #6 of 6

ok - I guess that explains the big difference in price.  and yes - I would imagine much more muscle then my hand crank pasta machine. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%