Input On Cocoa Preference

Baking By shellielatham Updated 8 Oct 2015 , 9:22pm by Pastrybaglady

shellielatham Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellielatham Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 10

I have always used Hershey's from the grocery store because that is what is easiest to obtain.  

What kinds do you all use?

What kind of differences do you experience with different brands?

Any input you would like to contribute is greatly appreciated. 

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 10

i've tried other brands and i just like hershey's -- if i was still doing cakes i'd get some of the black cocoa from king arthur so i could do black icing without as much food color but i've tried the different brands and i'm not impressed -- ok second favorite cocoa? nestle's -- it's like hershey's with a spring in it's step -- very good also -- but a nice diversion not the main event --

i saw marcel desaulniers on tv --the guy who wrote the death by chocolate book -- and he said he used Baker's unsweetened chocolate in his desserts -- if it works for him...'it' being 'common' grocery store chocolate -- if it ain't broke right --

you just can't beat a nostalgic favorite --

although my favorite chocolate chips for eating out of the bag are ghirardeli milk choco and for cookies it's ghiradelli bittersweet -- i love warm flowy belgian chocolate -- omg -- but i just bought a bag of hershey's kisses at the store too go figure ;)

shellielatham Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 10

I don't bake enough to constitute the cost of ordering expensive chocolate.  Especially if the difference isn't grand.  I just wanted some input from the community.  Thanks.  I do want to try the high-ratio shortening to see if it makes a huge difference in BC's.

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 10

I like the Hershey's brand, I find that it gives a darker chocolate color to cakes and BC than the Nestle's brand.  But cocoa is one thing that I will not branch out to the generic form of.

shellielatham Posted 28 Aug 2014 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 10

I appreciate the responses so far.  

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 12:34am
post #6 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellielatham 

I have always used Hershey's from the grocery store because that is what is easiest to obtain.  

What kinds do you all use?

What kind of differences do you experience with different brands?

Any input you would like to contribute is greatly appreciated. 

shellielatham......with an IE....:)

Hersheys cocoa, no cocoa connoisseurs  in my house.

shellielatham Posted 29 Aug 2014 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 10

^^ I second that! No connoisseurs at our house either.

I know some think the more expensive means better, which in reality is not always the case.  I'm glad to be getting some realistic input on this topic!  

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 1 Sep 2014 , 1:56am
post #8 of 10

I like Valrhona and Guittard cocoa powder.

sykescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sykescakes Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 10

I prefer Cacao Barry Cocoa Powder - 100% Cocoa - Extra Brute. You can get it on amazon with the link belowe. I know the $25 seems steep but you get 2.2 lbs which I think actually works out to be cheaper then Hesheys. I also really like Hersheys but the Cacao Barry just takes it up a level with the complexity of flavor, it also makes a devine chocolate fudge frosting :)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BLTNL4Q/?tag=cakecentral-20

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 10

I buy Callebaut cocoa powder from Winco at $3.65/lb. If I can't get out there I buy Hersheys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%