Long Distance Cake Order. What Would You Do?

Business By bnsbrown Updated 27 Aug 2014 , 7:00am by karennayak

bnsbrown Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnsbrown Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 8

AI have the opportunity to do the cake for my grandparents 75th anniversary! Just a small 2 tier covered in fondant with some sugar flowers. The thing is that I have to fly out on a Wed night and the event is not til Sat. Should I make and cover the cake and tote around unassembled layers on the plane? Should I pack up all my cake stuff and make everything there (including mmf) in mom's primitive kitchen? Should I bring my already made Mmf and bc but having to check it since I cant take it on the plane? should i just ship some satin ice to the destination and make cake and bc there? Bring cake only? There doesn't seem to be a great answer or plan in my head. Any suggestions are appreciated.

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 8

omg -- their 75th?! -- what an honor -- i vote ship out the store bought fondant in advance -- 

you could handily do a pretty little 9x6 -- me i would tort/fill/frost/freeze and pack with ice packs so they can withstand turbulence without harm and without you freaking out at every bump -- i am not a frequent flyer but i hope you could pack it so it could go under your seat -- 

they let you put your dog in a carrier and stuff it under the seat so -- idk -- should be able to do that for a cake -- the overhead is an option but surely you want this frozen solid for whichever seat you can get for it  --

best to you! what a wonderful occassion!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 8

i took 4 tiers to kansas city from orange county, in May. I did a layer of ganache under the fondant, which is perfect for keeping the cake protected and fresh. I put the layers into a new box, that fit into the overheads,  lined with bubble wrap and tossed in some cold packs. cakes arrived cold and with no flaws. I was sure to tell every security guard, TSA agent and flight attendant what I was carrying. TSA says they reserve the right to check, but no one opened my boxes. 

jen

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

i took 4 tiers to kansas city from orange county, in May. I did a layer of ganache under the fondant, which is perfect for keeping the cake protected and fresh. I put the layers into a new box, that fit into the overheads,  lined with bubble wrap and tossed in some cold packs. cakes arrived cold and with no flaws. I was sure to tell every security guard, TSA agent and flight attendant what I was carrying. TSA says they reserve the right to check, but no one opened my boxes. 

jen

With carry on - they will do everything in front of you, and you can care for your package yourself.

If you try to check anything through with the luggage that goes out of your sight - everything may be damaged, stolen, lost, or touched  ick ick.

Easier and safer to mail something that to put it in your checked luggage.

Good Luck and Happy Anniversary to your GrandParents.  

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

With carry on - they will do everything in front of you, and you can care for your package yourself.

If you try to check anything through with the luggage that goes out of your sight - everything may be damaged, stolen, lost, or touched  ick ick.

Easier and safer to mail something that to put it in your checked luggage.

Good Luck and Happy Anniversary to your GrandParents.  

Oh yeah, I didn't check it. I made sure my boxes fit into the overhead. 

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 26 Aug 2014 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 8

AGood luck, in Australia they won't let us fly with a cake. My last two tier I tried to travel with, they took it away and checked it in - and managed to damage the sides of both tiers. They were going to deny the cake boarding entirely.....and this was despite getting permission from the people at head office before i flew. Ground staff were having none of it....good luck, I hope you're ok!

rbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rbcakes Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 6:04am
post #7 of 8

AI've flown with cakes in Australia before without any problems, but I made sure they fit either in the overhead compartment or under the seat.

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 27 Aug 2014 , 7:00am
post #8 of 8

I traveled out of Singapore with five tiers of cake. (Checked-in) It was massive, paid for a lot of excess baggage!

This was Rich dark fruit cake, and I left the cakes in their tins, and then carefully wrapped in foil and then bubble wrap. Carried the fondant and the marzipan separately and covered and iced at the destination. Luckily ... no damage. But it was a very sturdy firm cake.

On another note, when I was flying out of London, a block of cheese from my hand-luggage was confiscated! They said it looked suspiciously like plastic explosive. Oh well!

I guess every country, every airport is different.

Good luck with the cake,

Karen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%