Cake Brain

Decorating By owatto Updated 24 Aug 2014 , 11:20am by owatto

owatto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owatto Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 23

AI have never been pregnant so have never had baby brain, but lately I have had cake brain! Tonight, I went to get a coke and an icecream from hungry jacks (burger king in the US) on the way home from spotlight (getting fondant at 8:30pm) Drove through the drive through... Kept driving and completely missed the speaker box where you order... Didn't realise I hadn't orded until I got to the window expecting my drink and icecream but instead got a lady was staring at me... Turns out the guy befind me was a big burley man with a husky deep voice so she got his order then I drive up to the window wanting my icecream!

What have you done while having cake brain?

22 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 23

Amy husband got the food ordered and paid for we waiting for the ones ahead of us then we drove straight through without picking up the food-- he's never been pregnant nor decorated a cake --

I know I'm telling on him but I couldn't resist -- too funny!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Aug 2014 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 23

*waited

DeliciousEmma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousEmma Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 1:52am
post #4 of 23

Done that once too. Felt like such an idiot and I was too embarrassed to go back through the driveway so I dealt with being hungry.

P.S. I didn't realise Spotlight had much in the way of cake decorating supplies?

owatto Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 2:15am
post #5 of 23

AHaha! Yeah I was like um I just want an icecream!! Yeah spotlight has a big sale on at the moment too... Satin ice 1kg for $(AU)13.99

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 3:17am
post #6 of 23

I call it brain fog. I blame it on the disease I have ( Addison's disease ) . Maybe it is just cake brain . 

So far this week I have go in three lifts and forgotten to push the button so I just stood there waiting to go somewhere and it didn't move. 

I left my groceries at coles and left with an empty trolley , got halfway home and had to go back and get them. 

I put the baby foot mould somewhere for this baby belly cake I am working on and I can't find it . I also cannot find the 100 packet of cake dowels I bought either. 

Our Spotlight is near a Jack's too.  

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 4:23am
post #7 of 23

Haha - too funny!

I went to the supermarket once, the only things I bought were two magazines, which I left sitting on the counter after I paid for them. When I got home and realised I had to take my receipt back and do the walk of shame to get them lol

Whereabouts in Victoria are you? I wonder if my Spotlight (Ballarat) has that sale on.

Bunny0410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunny0410 Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 5:15am
post #8 of 23

Twice now Spotlight have had stuff I wasn't able to source elsewhere.

They have cake boards half price too, so they are now cheaper than my cake decorating supplier.

Sorry it won't let me post the weblink, but look up the spotlight website, its in their current catalogs.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 7:42am
post #9 of 23

My Spotlight has been clearing out a bunch of cake deco stuff at 50-70% off. I went in for some ribbon, and left with $135 in cake pans and other crap I probably don't need haha! They had Fat Daddio heart pans reduced from about $54 to $13, so of course I got three. I also stocked up on 8" cake rounds because I was running low on those and the price was cheaper than my wholesaler.

I can't helpbut wondering if they are moving away from cake stuff altogether, or if they are bringing in a Spotlight brand of cake stuff?

owatto Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 1:55pm
post #10 of 23

AThey seem to be moving towards mainly wilton things....I am in the im near the mornington peninsula so I have frankston and springvale to go too... Pretty sure its all of them as it was in the catalogue.

I too have got into lifts and just stood there... Then been very confused when it someone opens it and I'm on the same level

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 9:27pm
post #11 of 23

ABack off the Springvale store.....that's near me! I want to go and clean them out if they have anything good!!

And cake brain?.....I think that's just the down time that our brains require to compensate for the excess energy we have during an attack of cake nerves!

owatto Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 23

AFrankston had lots more then springvale... If you do go to sprinvales the cake boards are in the middle of a main aisle as you walk down to the back of the store (was near the curtains I think)

winniemog Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 9:49pm
post #13 of 23

AActually the Springvale store has been pretty useless for years now. I started going to the store up on ?Canterbury Rd which had more stuff, but I noticed over the last year they've been decreasing their range, and they never have enough staff to allow you to pay for your purchases!

Maybe I will have to come to Fran-ghanistan! I try to avoid it, I lived in Mt Eliza for a few years and it's still my mother-in-law's hunting ground, so it brings back too many bad memories! Mind you, she won't go to Frankston because the "the class of people there are below her"......her words, not mine!!

owatto Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 10:20pm
post #14 of 23

AHahaha I live in Carrum Downs (the nice part) so I understand.. Even I try to avoid franghanistan, but their spotlight is massive, and has quite a big range of cake things compared to springvale

winniemog Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 23

AThat's a good tip about the spotlight, thanks very much!

And I agree, Carrum Downs is SOOOO much nicer than Frankston. I visited a friend of a friend who had a lovely new place. I was so jealous of her kitchen! Don't tell me you have a beautiful kitchen too - then I will have kitchen jealousy as well as spotlight jealousy!

owatto Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 11:22pm
post #16 of 23

A[IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3278551/width/200/height/400[/IMG] Excuse the mess (i'm mid cake) as with most kitchens... Just not enough bench space!

winniemog Posted 22 Aug 2014 , 11:47pm
post #17 of 23

ALooks pretty good to me, I have even less bench space! Keep planning to renovate...but the thought is how to cope in the short term?

And yes mid-cake, my kitchen tends to look like a disaster area, although I prefer the fondant stage of a cake to the ganaching stage in terms of mess.

There have been a couple of evenings where I have given my kids a "picnic" dinner in the living room because there is no empty space in my kitchen! They love it even though I am typically losing my mind at that point!

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 2:02am
post #18 of 23

Just had to chime in that my kids often "picnic" when I'm working on a cake, too.  We go so far to do movie night where we put out a picnic blanket and the kids get to eat while watching a movie.  If I'm still working when they get up, it's a picnic for breakfast, too!

As far as cake brain, I am incredibly guilty of this.  At least baby brain is something most people are familiar with!

winniemog Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 2:17am
post #19 of 23

AI actually took my kids to a cafe for breakfast the day of my kitchen inspection - I refused to let them drop crumbs all over my beautiful clean floor!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 2:42am
post #20 of 23

a teapot and Jack Daniels on the cake counter, yeah looks pretty normal to me. :P

winniemog Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 3:44am
post #21 of 23

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

a teapot and Jack Daniels on the cake counter, yeah looks pretty normal to me. :P

Actually I have the one litre size bottle of vodka out when I'm working on cakes -

I was about to say it was for solvent purposes only...but realised that sounded even worse!

SO the story is that I use the vodka for painting the cakes with! I'm pretty fond of a post-cake gin, not vodka, although I know it's been a really tough cake if the gin REPLACES my dinner. I do add lemon though, so I am getting a portion of fruit in every glass - and I am not going to get malaria with the tonic water that I blend with.....

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Aug 2014 , 6:41pm
post #22 of 23

It would be nice to have a large counter top like in the photo above ^^ I do a lot of spreading things around the house.  I worked with a guy whose wife sold cakes, baking out of their house.  They almost had a cake disaster one day, when she tripped over the engine block in a room while carrying a cake- to set down on a table in the room.

Never did buy a cake from her, he he.

owatto Posted 24 Aug 2014 , 11:20am
post #23 of 23

AHaha the bottle of jack daniels was because I was doing a jack daniels cake... I had to borrow a bottle of my brother because I dont drink!

What you can't see is the pizza box, as we had a picnic dinner too.. however we call it a recliner dinner!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%