Garden Soil.

Decorating By jpjones-1 Updated 20 Aug 2014 , 10:48pm by bubs1stbirthday

jpjones-1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpjones-1 Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 2:30pm
post #1 of 6

AI am making my father-in-law birthday cake and he is a gardener. I am making the vegetable garden and I would like to use the Oreo cookie crumbs for the soil, but the cake is lemon and I am going to create the grass around the soil made with lemon icing. I don't know how the chocolate and the lemon will taste. Does anyone have any sugestions? Please help.

5 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 6

Chocolate and orange is delicious, but not a fan of chocolate and lemon.  However I doubt that the little bit of chocolate cookie decoration on the top will make that much difference in the flavor.

madcobbler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madcobbler Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 6

How about crushing up gingersnap cookies. I think that would taste good with the lemon and give you a light brown soil.

jpjones-1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpjones-1 Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 6:26pm
post #4 of 6

AThat does sound better than chocolate. I will keep it in mind. What do you all think about creating a cart with brown fondant and putting the soil in it and the vegetable. That means that non of the soil would touch to cake because the fondant cart will sit directly on the cake.

Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 8:28pm
post #5 of 6

AChocolate and lemon is not a mainstream flavor, but it is not an unheard of combination either. You are using it as a decoration element, not as a main flavor filling. If you are looking for that black soil decoration element, I wouldn't fret too much. If you don't want the cream flavor of Oreo to come through and chocolate is ok, chocolate graham crackers or those famous wafers (my personal favorite). Gingersnaps sounds good as well, though.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 6

I would bake my own biscuits, using a brown colouring through the dough, flavour as desired and then crush those up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%