Question For The Pros About Quantity

Decorating By tsal Updated 20 Aug 2014 , 12:37pm by pucina

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 12

Hi,

I'm making a wedding cake for my friend's wedding this coming Saturday.  I originally was making a three tier round (12", 10", 8") cake to serve 118.  This is a free cake, and dh thinks we should give a gift on top of that since, "it is just cake after all and they won't understand how much time/effort went into it and you don't want to look cheap".

They never gave me a final tally but I imagine that there will be about 120-150 people at the wedding (as per the info given at the consult).

The bride (I am friends with the groom) just told me that a friend of hers is supplying 150 mini cupcakes and 50 cake pops.

The real issue is that I'm wondering if I should scale down the cake to a 10" bottom, 8" middle, and 6" top, which would be much easier for me as those are the sizes I am most familiar with, being a hobbyist and all.  Dh thinks I should leave it as is because everyone wants a big cake at their wedding.  I would have to buy a new cake pan as I don't have a 12" pan, and I'm wondering if anyone is really going to take a mini cupcake and a piece of cake.   And then there are the cake pops.

What do the professionals think?  Should I make a big cake just because it is a wedding or should I ask to scale down given the mini cupcakes and the cake pops. 

I don't want to piss off the bride on her big day either.

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 12

Aok first of all -- no gift-- it doesn't matter if they realize the effort or not -- the effort, time and money are still spent on their behalf -- then again if this is a parents' funded event, it's more of a gift to the parents than b&g -- still I would not do a gift --

I mean if the bride herself is advising you there's gonna be nearly double cake available -- I'd scale back -- I think I'd feel like baling altogether but sure do what you're comfortable with -- for peace of mind -- you could make an extra 10" and keep it in a cooler in your car -- then if the other quantities do not appear as projected then you have peace of mind that you can pretty much cover for her -- or a nice 9x13

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 12

AAre the cake pops and mini cupcakes served at the same time as your cake? It could be for a midnight buffet!?

If it's to be served at the same time, there will be a lot of leftover....cake, cupcakes and pops.

I recommend discussing it with the bride and/or groom to make things clear...and avoid disappointment. I would ask for a more specific number of guests, when the cake will be served, if they want to keep the top tier for their first year anniversary (changes the number of servings for their guests), when the cupcakes/pops will be served.

Don't listen to DH :-)

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 12

You should give her the big cake, if that's what was discussed and promised at the consult. If just a three tier cake was discussed, I think you're fine to make the smaller one.

And if it's your friend, why does your DH care if you look cheap? Not that I think you will. I've always not given a birthday or wedding gift if I've done the cake, and in every single case, people have told me it's too big a gift, not too small.

Bunny0410 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunny0410 Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 12

Yep I agree with MCAULIR, if you have only agreed to do a 3 tier, go with your sizes, if you have agreed to the larger 3 tier combo, you should honor that agreement.

Cake is the perfect gift...

tsal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsal Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 12

AWe did discuss size so I'll stick with the original sizes.

Thanks, everyone!!!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 12

Let your DH buy everything you need for this cake, including the new pans.  Then let him help you with the baking and clean-up.  I bet he says the cake is enough for the gift after that lol

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

Let your DH buy everything you need for this cake, including the new pans.  Then let him help you with the baking and clean-up.  I bet he says the cake is enough for the gift after that lol

Totally agree with this, especially since the gift is from you both :grin:

itdoesntbatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itdoesntbatter Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 7:53pm
post #9 of 12

AYou could stick with the same larger sizes she wanted, but make the bottom tier fake. Use a dummy and the other two tiers real. That way, she will get the big wedding cake she wants but because of the other desserts, your cake won't be wasted if it doesnt get eaten. That's what I would propose to her!

MKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MKC Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 8:25pm
post #10 of 12

Personally, I would be offended that she would ask another person to bring more cake.

If you use the 60% rule from Indydebi, your cake alone will serve all of her guests.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2014 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 12

Ai mean what was her point when she was advising you about the extra cake?

for you to be wondering enough to post here about it what was her frame of mind -- I know you decided to make the 12 -- I'm just curious

pucina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pucina Posted 20 Aug 2014 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 12

AMaybe she was offered the cake and felt it would be rude to decline. I have had that happen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%