Decorating By cakeymom Updated 18 Aug 2014 , 4:33pm by LisaBerczel

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 3:45am
post #1 of 4

AI am thinking about buying an airbrush to use for small projects, mainly on cookies. I see there are a vast array of choices. But, in looking I see some that have a bottle attached to the bottom vs the open source on the top for the excess ink. Which is better?


3 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 4:31am
post #2 of 4

Hi, it is recommended you use a gravity-fed airbrush (reservoir at the top of the brush) for cake decorating.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 6:33am
post #3 of 4

AAnd that way you can mix your own colours in the reservoir too.

LisaBerczel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaBerczel Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 4

Top/Gravity feed (cup on top) airbrush is designed for details and general coverage. It is the most common style of airbrush. Advantages include ease of custom color mixing (as mentioned) and fast color changes when using small amounts of color. Down-side can be that if the needle/nozzle tip size is too small, the airbrush will clog with pearls and lusters. Most airbrushes for cake decorating are .3mm and above.


Bottom/Siphon feed (bottle at the bottom) is designed for large coverage and requires a higher air pressure to suck the color up the tube in the bottle and through the airbrush's body. This longer plumbing is not ideal for cake decorating where any kind of details are involved, but is an excellent choice for large projects or assembly-line style production.

Quote by @%username% on %date%