Torting Before Freezing??

Decorating By lillyanne Updated 17 Aug 2014 , 3:20pm by -K8memphis

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 12:05pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all I was wondering if I leveled and torted a cooled cake prior to freezing would it dry out since I exposed the inside of the cake? Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you find this to NOT be the case as long as the cake is wrapped well or is it better to leave the torting until after freezing and it had thawed? The main reason i ask this is because i line to use the wire i have to tort a cake so that i know they are level and even sizes but if i left it until after freezing then the wire may not be strong enough and i would have to use a knife which i am not great at and i find causes a lot of crumbs.

Any other tips and tricks much appreciated

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 6

Athat is how i do it -- they do not dry out in the freezer from being once exposed to the air -- i often use a flavored simple syrup 'splash' in my cakes - where while I'm assembling tiers i brush or squirt each layer with the splash -- i often use grand marnier but it can be without flavor or add any flavor like lemon, almond or any liquor/liqueur --

the reason i torte fill & freeze is so that i get rid of all the mess before i get to final icing and decorating -- kind of a Zen thing :)

i only do this to order though -- not just freeze up a quantity just because -- I've tested out all my flavors and fillings and everything is good to go --

i wrap these babies like mummies -- i usually double wrap with plastic wrap then slide them into those Reynolds cooking bags used for roasts and turkeys -- for giant tiers i tape two bags together --

it really is nice to just whip out tier after tier onto/into a nice clean organized workspace to ice and decorate -- frees the mind -- seriously--

best to you

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 6

AI can fit a 200 serving cake into my home freezer that's just that rectangular box above the fridge -- has to be empty except for the shelves in the door -- remove the other shelves and the ice supply-- place smaller tiers on the bottom -- let them freeze up -- place larger tiers on top of those because there's more room in the middle and upper bandwidth of the freezer -- makes all the difference in the world -- and use boards the same size as the cake --

lillyanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lillyanne Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 6

thanks for all the info. can i just double check, do you also fill your cakes before freezing? i never thought of doing that. does the filling thaw ok?

Thanks

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 6

I always torted, wrapped and froze.  I didn't fill first, but I don't see any reason why not.

-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2014 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 6

Ayes i do -- i freeze them already filled -- then they are all ready for the fun last steps of icing and decorating-- i tested all my fillings even the whipped cream with fresh strawberries and they all thaw fine --

oh another advantage to me is I shave the outer edges of my cakes so later when they're iced it goes on smooth as silk all consistent -- so at this frozen state is the easiest to do the slicing because the cake of course is so nice & firm --

:) works for me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%